Dashcam Connector

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
White

Post by White »

I was not happy fitting my Nextbase 312GW camera to the top of the windscreen in front of the passenger seat for safety reasons and the fact that it was directly in the passenger's line of sight. The problems with routing the power cable under trim or discretely on the surface also did not appeal.
I have now located it on the dashboard as follows, which may be an easy fix option for others. Although it is mounted on top of the speakers it does not affect sound quality. I have used the following (sourced from Amazon) A MOFUN car sat nav friction GPS rubber dashboard non stick holder mat ultra slim mount (trimmed to clear the air vent) Command 17026CLR decoration cable clips. You can just see one at the end of the inset strip on the dash These command clips are brilliant and though sticky, can easily be removed at a later date without leaving any marks.
I have now had this in place for a few weeks and it has not moved. OK it does use the 12v socket but I am rarely using it for anything else and is a little inconvenience for such an easy installation.

0C3118F5-1433-42AF-9534-3A4DD704109F.jpeg

Volvo XC40, T4, R-Design Pro, AWD, Automatic, Thunder Cloud Grey

Reg Istered

Post by Reg Istered »

White wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:16 pm I was not happy fitting my Nextbase 312GW camera to the top of the windscreen in front of the passenger seat for safety reasons and the fact that it was directly in the passenger's line of sight. The problems with routing the power cable under trim or discretely on the surface also did not appeal.
I have now located it on the dashboard as follows, which may be an easy fix option for others. Although it is mounted on top of the speakers it does not affect sound quality. I have used the following (sourced from Amazon) A MOFUN car sat nav friction GPS rubber dashboard non stick holder mat ultra slim mount (trimmed to clear the air vent) Command 17026CLR decoration cable clips. You can just see one at the end of the inset strip on the dash These command clips are brilliant and though sticky, can easily be removed at a later date without leaving any marks.
I have now had this in place for a few weeks and it has not moved. OK it does use the 12v socket but I am rarely using it for anything else and is a little inconvenience for such an easy installation.0C3118F5-1433-42AF-9534-3A4DD704109F.jpeg
Thanks, I might give that a try.
I think I'd try and route the wire between the dash and glass though.

I'm not happy with any placement on the screen.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I have copied this idea for mounting the DashCam using the MOFUN mat and I can confirm that it seems to be a good solution. Bearing in mind that my trial has been severely limited in distance by the current travel restrictions it has remained stable in normal braking and on roundabouts. One point is that the 312GW settings need to be changed to "rotate screen" or meaningless rubbish is shown.
ScottieG

Post by ScottieG »

The only issue I can potentially see with Gonzo’s reply on Feb 9 2020 is the curtain airbag is a single piece that runs down the A-pillar and along the roof lining, therefore although trying to not interfere with the airbag by putting the power cable along the outside of the trim line will indeed have the opposite effect and will restrict this airbag if it were to ever deploy (hopefully not!). It would also rip the camera off the windscreen and potentially hit the passenger/driver - think conker on a string!

The A-pillar comes off dead easy without risk of airbag going off and there is existing wiring running down the pillar which can have the dashcam wire zip tied to it. There is no way then that the dashcam wire can interfere with the airbag.

To remove the A-pillar, pop off the plastic IC Airbag tab and use an 8mm socket. The trim then just pulls up and out from the pillar.

Just food for thought.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

I had mine located on passenger side, next to the binnacle and was just below the sun visor when opened - I had the Nextbase 380 as didn’t want a screen. Couldn’t see from drivers side - so tgat was perfect. Never had an issue from passenger side.
Ran the cable across the top headliner and then down the outside (door seal side) of the A puller - under the black door seal and into the central console and plugged in their - the little mat pulls up and you can feed the wire under this and out near glovebox.