Volvo - Road Hawk Dashcam

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Pirots

Post by Pirots »

Anyone had one of these fitted?

I asked my dealer how much to fit a dashcam, they replied saying 'We do have a Road hawk that Volvo fits for around £350'.

I thought Volvo had stopped these cams?

Doing a net search it seems people have had them supplied and fitted for around £240. Not sure if the increase in price is because it's a new version or the stealer being greedy.
Volvo XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design, Auto, Thunder grey, Xenium pack, Intellisafe surround, Winter pack, Convenience pack, Spare wheel.

Ian333

Post by Ian333 »

I’ve had a DC-2 fitted by Volvo.
Unsure of how much it was as I got a ‘deal’ and it was fitted the same time as Polestar.
It looks ok, the wires are all hidden and it works pretty well so I’m happy.
Ordered T5 R-Design Pro with most of the bells and whistles in early May ‘18 and received delivery at end of Jan ‘19
Very Happy 😃... especially now it’s Polestarred
Pirots

Post by Pirots »

I replied to the dealer saying that I wanted a Blackvue cam. Their response was

Other than a Volvo endorsed camera we would not fit anything else. It doesn’t mean you cannot have it done yourself, but take caution if it somehow interferes with any of the electrical wiring etc it will void the Warranty on the car.
Volvo XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design, Auto, Thunder grey, Xenium pack, Intellisafe surround, Winter pack, Convenience pack, Spare wheel.
BiddyR

Post by BiddyR »

Sounds like bullying tactics to overcharge, fit what you want where you want.
T4 R Design Pro FWD
7Characters

Post by 7Characters »

I have a very small dashcam, a Garmin from a previous car, but try as I might I can't find a place on the screen to safely instal it.

It can't be installed alongside the centre binnacle as this would interfere with the camera/radar according to the manual. To the right of the screen it's in my eyesight and fouled by the visor. If I place it in the passenger area the same things apply.

Not sure where you are installing your Volvo accredited cams but there's no room for one in my XC40.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

7Characters wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 am I have a very small dashcam, a Garmin from a previous car, but try as I might I can't find a place on the screen to safely instal it.

It can't be installed alongside the centre binnacle as this would interfere with the camera/radar according to the manual. To the right of the screen it's in my eyesight and fouled by the visor. If I place it in the passenger area the same things apply.

Not sure where you are installing your Volvo accredited cams but there's no room for one in my XC40.
My Viofo A119v3 is mounted at top of screen, 3cm from binnacle, passenger side. No issues whatsoever from interference. No complaints from dealer when the car went in for service.

Assuming you are not already having problems with the binnacle sensors, why not fit the camera wherever you like. If it causes any issues for you remove it, if the problem goes away then you can be fairly sure the camera is the problem. If it doesn’t go away then remove the camera wiring too and take the car to the dealers to get the problem sorted...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

When my dealer saw the Nextbase dashcam I have, which is currently fitted about 5cm from the binnacle on the passenger side (virtually hidden from the driver's sight) he suggested moving it to the bottom corner of the windscreen, passenger side. I haven't moved it yet, as it doesn't seem to have caused any problems, but I still need to check whether the adaptive cruise control is affected before I make it permanent where it is.

The problem with fitting it where Volvo suggest is that it's more vulnerable to thieves who think nothing of breaking a side window and grabbing whatever they can reach easily.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
7Characters

Post by 7Characters »

Gnomeface wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:40 pm When my dealer saw the Nextbase dashcam I have, which is currently fitted about 5cm from the binnacle on the passenger side (virtually hidden from the driver's sight) he suggested moving it to the bottom corner of the windscreen, passenger side. I haven't moved it yet, as it doesn't seem to have caused any problems, but I still need to check whether the adaptive cruise control is affected before I make it permanent where it is.

The problem with fitting it where Volvo suggest is that it's more vulnerable to thieves who think nothing of breaking a side window and grabbing whatever they can reach easily.
With my dashcam if I placed it passenger side at the bottom a good half of the image is the Thunder Grey of my bonnet.
7Characters

Post by 7Characters »

Still can't find a place for my cam!
Bottom of screen no use as half of image is the bonnet.

Top drivers side no use as image is obscured by binnacle or cam fouled by visor.

Top passenger side no use as image is obscured by binnacle or cam is fouled by visor or objected to by partner 😀.

Much easier on previous car as it just fitted invisibly behind mirror.

Might fit it to the rear window or sell it/give it away.
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Fit mine at the top screen on the passenger side. It has no effect to the center binnacle, the visor or the driver view. It is no bother to the passenger as well. The cam is blackvue dr900 which has a very wide angle lens. Probably the wide angle lens make it suitable at this location.

Did ask for an approved cam when ordering the car in February. The answer was no approved make and model. I end up bought the cam while on business in Asia and fit it myself. The fitting is very straightforward and lots of information here on the wiring.

Resize_2019-11-25_16-06-10-508.jpg