Hands free voice control - standard commands.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Hi all,
Should (fingers crossed) be picking our new xc40 up this coming Saturday.
Thought Id start a thread on the various commands people use on the hands free system, and your experiences with it in general?

The reason I ask is my current car (mazda 3) has handsfree, but its pretty useless, or hit and miss at best, for example I would try "phone ****", and usually it wouldn't recognise the person I was trying to ring, so what are the handsfree instructions you use commonly in the car?
Ive seen people complain at the lack of a physical heat adjustment switch, and don't like using the screen, then others say to use hands free - so what's the standard request it recognises? "turn temperature up" "im hot"?? etc.

Cheers.
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

There is a good list of voice commands here -

https://www.xc40forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=151&hilit=Voice#p593
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi

The commands are numerous

BBC03ADA-B4A9-4104-903F-8508DEA3373E.jpeg

64F41F8D-0DAD-4D40-AB7A-F949D360BE15.jpeg

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Cheers for that......

Kind of wished I hadn't taken a look :? most of the comments are negative to it, some downright scathing.

Oh well, fingers crossed I get on with it.
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Well I find it useful but then again we’ve only done 300 miles in 2 months so very early days. The problem is learning all the commands and putting them all in the right sequence. It’s often quicker to carry out the task manually. I have used the ‘I’m cold’ command and the temp went up by a degree.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
buddie000

Post by buddie000 »

I have had my inscription since March 2019 done 11000 miles and found the Voice Control easy to use and to date had no problems at all. Used mainly for Navigation, Heating and Phone and all works really well with my accent.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Do you have android auto / Apple CarPlay? I use the volvo’s voice commands for temperature and radio, and that’s it. Siri for the rest. Works well.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

hdasmith wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:12 pm Do you have android auto / Apple CarPlay? I use the volvo’s voice commands for temperature and radio, and that’s it. Siri for the rest. Works well.
Hi there,
Unfortunately I don't have android auto/ Apple car play, Im sure it will be fine and I will soon get used to it.

50/50 now as to whether we get to pick the car up this Saturday, if it arrives tomorrow morning then there is a slot for it on Friday to be prepared in time for Saturday, if the delivery arrives in the afternoon, then the car won't be ready till Monday, which means next Saturday because of our work commitments, so hopefully it arrives early tomorrow. :?
mobile18

Post by mobile18 »

I have had my XC40 since March 18 and the voice commands are very poor. i can set the temperature but very few navigation commands result in the correct address. On the radio I can do to AM or Sirius but not search for any songs. The voice commands are far worse than on the Toyotas that I have had