Help needed on OEM roof bars

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Hi all

I got the OEM Volvo roof bars, however i asked the dealership not to install them.
Should be pretty easy to fix myself, however i will only use them occasionally, so i prefer to have access to the moonroof.

Has anyone used them, are they easy to take off after a day and put in storage until needed again?
Equally, are they easy enough to fit again and again, without damaging the load support (car) rails?

marobinson1977

Post by marobinson1977 »

I found them very easy to both fit and remove.
T3 Inscription
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

I think the OEM bars are in fact THULE bars rebadged, I have a set purchased for my V40 and with a new adaptor to use them with my XC40. They are simple to fit BUT I have used some old rubber inner tube as a layer between the clamps and the rails as they did scratch the rails on the V40.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Thanks both for the replies. They are indeed rebadged THULE, i don't think there's any badge on them. I was worried about scratches, does that rubber layer still allow to tighten it properly and won't allow loads to slip? I don't plan carrying heavy stuff, just bikes - but i expect them to have higher wind resistance than say, roofboxes/sarcophagus and hence put more pressure on the connection points
stu22

Post by stu22 »

I also added a thin layer of rubber strip under the clamps as I'm sure with time they will mark the painted rails.
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

I think it makes the fixing more secure , reduces the slippage due to higher friction.