New XC40 - should I be taking it easy first 10k miles?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
emporiky

Post by emporiky »

Title says it all :mrgreen: - got my XC40 three weeks ago and have almost 2k miles on the clock. However, I am very careful not to push the car too hard, as I remember that old saying that I should be taking it easy first 10k miles. Today I had to merge into the fast lane of the highway and for the first time I tried pedal to the metal for a brief moment and got 5500 rpm :shock:
So how true is that you should avoid pushing a new car at least at the beginning? Any thoughts would be welcome ;)
Current car: XC40 T4, Momentum Pro, Fusion Red
Premium Audio, Intelisafe, Park Assist 360, Versatility, Xenium, Winter packs

Previous car: Volvo V40 T3 Inscription

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

emporiky wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:47 am Title says it all :mrgreen: - got my XC40 three weeks ago and have almost 2k miles on the clock. However, I am very careful not to push the car too hard, as I remember that old saying that I should be taking it easy first 10k miles. Today I had to merge into the fast lane of the highway and for the first time I tried pedal to the metal for a brief moment and got 5500 rpm :shock:
So how true is that you should avoid pushing a new car at least at the beginning? Any thoughts would be welcome ;)
No need.to "run in" modern engines. Just go for it!!!

Here's some advice from the AA.
https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/running-in-a-new-car
Last edited by PeeBee on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

10k is far in excess of any running in distance I have ever been told about. Modern cars should not need it but I still do a carefull first 500 miles to be on the safe side. After that let rip and enjoy this superb motor.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
emporiky

Post by emporiky »

Thanks for the all the advice, I was indeed quite careful the first 1000 miles, still feel a bit guilty for flooring it yesterday though :mrgreen: I guess I am still used to my manual V40, where flooring it didn’t lead to anything special.
Last edited by emporiky on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current car: XC40 T4, Momentum Pro, Fusion Red
Premium Audio, Intelisafe, Park Assist 360, Versatility, Xenium, Winter packs

Previous car: Volvo V40 T3 Inscription
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Oops.. I forgot about this rule :-(
Drove around 2000km without thinking that much