Auto stop/start question

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Klanky

Post by Klanky »

On my previous car (Mercedes C Class) the automatic stop/start would operate after a couple of miles. On the XC40, I can drive the 10 miles into the office and it doesn't kick in at all.

Now I don't drive very hard and pootling into the office rarely go over 2,000 rpm, but the trip is mostly A road with 60/70 mph limit and a couple of sets of traffic lights. Even if I go the route through town the stop/start doesn't kick in -- well, almost never.

Am I doing something wrong? Driving too slowly?
And what type of system is the stop start?

Added that the little icon in the bottom left of the rev counter has a diagonal bar through it to show that it's not working. But it has cut in once or twice, just not anywhere near as often as I would expect.

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

Mine cuts in a lot early than previous cars. I'm talking after a cold start and a few hundred metres.
Are you using a lot of electrical power as this would have an impact. An example would be wipers, heavy use of AC, Dash cam perhaps.
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

Do you use the default comfort mode? Or switch to Dynamic, which disables stop/start.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

My stop / start is the same. Very rarely does it activate even after a long trip. On the rare occasion it does activate it only seems to be able to manage it a couple of times before going dead again. I am pretty sure this is due to a defective stop/start battery, (it has a dedicated battery). However as I would normaly switch the function off I have not bothered to get it replaced yet as it saves me a few button pushes.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

I drove a 20mile (2 x 10miles) round trip today in the default Comfort mode. The start/stop was active within a few hundred metres, certainly less than half a mile. It continued to be active at both ends of the short motorway journey. As expected.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I think it depends how deep and sharp you break
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

michael123 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:08 pm how deep
No, not at all. It stopped for at times when i was feathering the brake as light as it didn't even keep the car stopped.
michael123 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:08 pm and sharp you break
This might have something to do, though not explicitly stated in the manual. At times i notice if i brake light and for a long distance, sometimes it won't kill the engine when coming to full stop. I have to release the brake and press it again for the engine to stop
Klanky

Post by Klanky »

Using default comfort mode but it's the same in Eco mode too.

Might have to have this looked at :(
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

I have been having the same problem with the stop start not kicking in even after a 300 mile run. I took her into the dealers who fitted a new secondary battery and while it worked as expected for a few weeks, it is now back to not working again even when using a battery optimiser when parked up.
gabes1982

Post by gabes1982 »

My stop/start is very proactive, working within 30sec of starting the car when I get to the gate of our apartment garage. I would say it's on 80% of the time with the AC on with an outside ambient temp of 25c. My commute is a mix of urban, highway and hilly roads.
Current chariot - XC40 R-Design Black Stone
Gone but not forgotten - Peugeot 306xt, Polo Gti 6R, Megane RS265 Cup