Auto stop/start question

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
varavital

Post by varavital »

From the manual:

The engine does not auto-stop
The engine does not auto-stop in the following cases:
• The car has not reached approx. 10 km/h (6 mph) after starting.
• After a number of repeated auto stops, speed must again exceed approx. 10 km/h (6 mph) before the next auto stop.
• The driver has unfastened the seatbelt.
• The capacity of the starter battery is below the minimum permissible level.
• The engine is not at normal operating temperature.
• The ambient temperature is under -5 °C (23 °F) or above approx. 37 °C (98 °F).
• The windscreen's electric heating is activated.
• The environment in the passenger compartment deviates from the set values.
• The car is reversed.
• The starter battery's temperature is below or above the permitted limit values.
• The driver makes sweeping steering wheel movements.
• The road is very steep.
• The bonnet is opened.
• When driving at high altitudes when the engine has not reached operating temperature.
• The ABS system has been activated.
• In the event of heavy braking (even without the ABS system having been activated).
• Many starts during a short period of time have activated the starter motor's thermal protection.
• The exhaust system's particulate filter is full10.
• A trailer (or bike carrier) is connected electrically to the car’s electrical system.
The following applies to automatic gearbox:
• The gearbox is not at normal operating temperature.
• The gear selector is in M (±) position.

Mine didn't auto stop for a few weeks. Only by coincidence, I noticed that the bonnet wasn't closed 100% at one side. Apparently, there are a couple of switches in the latches of the bonnet, and if one switch indicates at the start stop system that the bonnet isn’t closed 100%, it doesn’t work. It didn’t indicate on the central display that the bonnet wasn’t closed completely, and you really had to look hard to see it. Only noticed it on a sunny day when reflections in the bonnet were trembling while driving around. Can’t do any harm to open and close the bonnet once again to see if this helps ;) .
The road is more important than the destination.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

On the occasions when I forget to turn it off, it activates surprisingly quickly after the first start of the day and much sooner than my last car.

I'm one of those that doesn't like stop/start particularly when it operates when going from forward to reverse and then causes the car to lurch when it suddenly has to start again. Stupid system!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Klanky

Post by Klanky »

Strangely, since I posted, it's been behaving impeccably and as I would expect.

No shows active after about a mile, which is more or less what my Mercedes did in the morning.