R Design or inscription?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Kev

Post by Kev »

I’m about to order a T4 AWD and I can’t decide which spec. I prefer the lack of chrome on the r design and the paddles, but leather seats are easier to live with (dog rides in the passenger seat) and I prefer the interior of the inscription.

My main question is regarding the suspension. I’ve heard that base models don’t ride so well and the r design is a big improvement. Does the inscription have the same suspension as a base model? I can’t find the answer anywhere and the only model with suspension changes in the spec on the Volvo site is the r design.

I’m also curious to see what the general forum opinion is as to which of the 2 is the better buy.

Cheers, Kev

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Momentum and Inscription are meant to have the same suspension AFAIK. R design is a bit stiffer, or meant to be, but I couldn’t really tell much difference, and prefer a softer ride. I also don’t like the small square motif in the inlays, much prefer the wood and seats of the Inscription.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I drove test an Inscription as that was the only one available with the dealer. Hard to say how much softer the ride was due to different wheel sizes as well, plus i keep my wheels at 40PSI at the moment so quite hard inflated.

Seats are totally different though, RDesign is a lot more comfortable so if that's something you care about you should look into it. However i understand where you're coming from with the nubuck, it keeps me planted in the seat and i can't shuffle at all which is still taking some getting used to.

I'm incredibly happy with my RD at the moment - However, as aspect goes (especially if you don't like an all black-interior) then your options are pretty clear-cut...
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

Don't forget that the standard RDesign seats are "Nubuck Textile", which isn't leather at all, it's a cloth. The leather is the smooth outer part with the white stitching.
Henners2748

Post by Henners2748 »

I ordered the R Design T4 then changed my mind a week after ordering and went for the Inscription T4. I wanted the comfort of all leathers and it seemed a bit more luxurious.
I test drove an inscription when i was looking to buy and i think that's what really changed my mind. Obviously Volvo give you the top model with all the bells and whistles to test drive, I fell for it!!
Got an Email from the dealer this week saying delivery Mid Nov- cant bloody wait!!!!!

T4 Inscription , Black and a few extras.....
Tangsoodo

Post by Tangsoodo »

Personal taste really but for me the xc40 seems to be volvos attempt at getting away from the old man image ( much like the Mercedes A class) and I think the funky design suits the R design better. On another note is it just me or does the xc40 and xc90 look really good but the xc60 does look a bit derek in his beige slacks 😋