NAVIGATION SPEED CAMERAS

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
maurelius

Post by maurelius »

I have just updated my navigation by usb. My Volvo franchise said it required a 64GB USB and 3 hours in a bay!
The download was 2.6GB and took about 50mins driving to install.
I live close to the A631 with 3 sets of average speed cameras nearby. Navigation sees one complete (2) set of cameras but no alerts. It misses one set altogether. The third set it sees the second camera only, which it alerts on the speedometer display.
From your experiences how reliable is Navigation

USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

I've only had mine a couple of weeks but it sees all I've come across so far.
To be fair I don't speed so don't really need the alerts.
maurelius

Post by maurelius »

Thank you for your reply.
I must admit that during my first 2 weeks with this complex, sophisticated vehicle, I was struggling to notice anything peripheral. But perhaps I`m dim.
One "quirk" of the T4 is the way its auto gearbox, coupled with the heavy weight of the car, makes speed reduction problematic.
I prefer to know where the cameras are. Garmin does an excellent job
Tangsoodo

Post by Tangsoodo »

Mine only sees some where I live. Funny thing is it pings at one that is a known mobile camera site but ignores a couple of fixed cameras. I don’t think any sat nav camera alerts can be fully trusted
mesaka

Post by mesaka »

While I have the navigation system in my car and speed cameras switched on, in Germany, where I drive mostly, its not fully legal to have the system so car manufacturers don't supply the information on the maps. Other solutions, such as WAZE, seem to ignore the issue and allow people to report / include them on the map. On WAZE for a long-time I didn't understand why it sometimes warned me with an audible warning and sometimes it was silent. I realised after a while there was only an audible warning if I was already on or over the speed limit. I can't test it for the Volvo system as I explained but maybe that is the reason?
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

The Volvo one will ping regardless of the speed you're doing, which is a bit frustrating but it is what it is.
What i noticed is that i get the pinging very close to cameras (less than 30 metres) if driving in standstill traffic. Which makes me believe we get it a fixed amount of seconds before the camera, and the higher the speed, the farther you are. Might be a reason why we sometims think it misses some? The fact that the ping was a lot earlier than expected?

Also, not entirely sure, but it seems not to pick all AVERAGE SPEED cameras, even if they're marked on map? Can anyone confirm?