HEADLIGHTS

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
jac830

Post by jac830 »

Picked up my XC40 in June. However, as the weather has started to turn and the days are getting shorter, I’ve noticed a couple of things with the headlights.
1. I don’t think they’re bright enough... compared to my wife’s old car (a 2016 Honda HR-V) and my other car (a Audi S5) they’re nowhere near as bright as those cars. Considering I paid extra for the Pro pack, including “Active Bending Lights” I was expecting more if I’m honest... I’m constantly double checking they’re on when I’m driving at night around town.
On the country lanes they’re okay, but they aren’t the greatest in my opinion.
2. WHY DON’T THEY COME ON IN RAIN!!? I can’t believe, that the most safety conscious car manufacturer, Doesn’t set its Automatic light function to come on in the rain. I noticed this as soon as I got it, and I also noticed that the other newer Volvo models are the exact same. 90% of people leave the light settings in “Auto” and this clearly shows driving down the A1 the other day in torrential rain, drove past a V90 CC with just DRL’s on, which were like candles in my mirror compared to dipped lights.
Yeah, I get that we’ve got rear DRL’s, but with spray on the motorway as thick as fog, I expect headlights to come on with the wipers.

That’s my ONLY gripe with the car. I’m absolutely loving it so far and I’m looking forward to many more miles.
2019 XC40 R-Design Pro, Fusion Red, Xenium Pack, Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate, Harman/Kardon Premium Sound, 21” Alloys

USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

I have R Design (not Pro and no packs) and my wipers come on in the rain. Have you switched on the autowipers in the rain button - it's the large button facing you on the stalk. The sensitivity can be adjusted on the large ring on the same stalk.
jac830

Post by jac830 »

I’ll try this tomorrow, thanks you.
With every other car I’ve driven, the lights come on with the wipers irrespective if I’m using the Auto wiper mode.
2019 XC40 R-Design Pro, Fusion Red, Xenium Pack, Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate, Harman/Kardon Premium Sound, 21” Alloys
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’m surprised by your comments about brightness. These are by far the best headlights I’ve had on any car. I just wish the auto dipped was quicker and could predict a vehicle coming round a corner, but otherwise incredibly clear.

Mine do come on in the rain in anything other than drizzle. The rear lights are always on, and the DLRs are so bright, I tend not to worry if it’s just drizzling. I actually find the DLRs dazzling when unlocking the car at night where I am with little or no street lighting.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

jac830 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:49 pm I’ll try this tomorrow, thanks you.
With every other car I’ve driven, the lights come on with the wipers irrespective if I’m using the Auto wiper mode.
Sorry, I confused your question. I was meaning wipers, you were meaning headlights. Sorry for my confusion. I'll check the headlights in the rain issue.
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

I think you are correct, the reason the dipped beam activates is poor light rather than rain. Page 139 of the manual has a warning text that says:

" The car's lighting system is not able to determine when daylight is too weak or sufficiently strong, e.g. in fog and rain, in all situations.
The driver is always responsible for ensuring that the car is driven with a beam pattern suitable for the traffic situation and in accordance with applicable traffic regulations".

So if the lights come on in the rain it's the poor light that is the trigger, not the rain sensor.

In my previous car, a VW golf, it was both the light and/or the rain that triggered the lights. Only fog in bright conditions necessitated a manual intervention. Looks like I'll have to be more careful with the Volvo.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I questioned the dealer at the 3mth review as on my old focus I had an icon on the dash so I knew if the dipped lights had come on or not - but on the volvo it doesn't have it. He told me I shouldn't worry as the car knows when to switch on.... I often have to manually set them as I'm not confident in it. Crazy given the price of the car.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
jac830

Post by jac830 »

Thanks guys.
I’m just not using the Auto headlight function anymore. I’ll just use them manually. First world problems, eh? 😂😂 :lol:
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

I've had Volvo, Ford, Vauxhall, Mercedes and VW... None of their lights come on in the rain unless the wipers are also on too...
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

q3billy wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:55 pm
I've had Volvo, Ford, Vauxhall, Mercedes and VW... None of their lights come on in the rain unless the wipers are also on too...
So same then!

For Ford, Vauxhall, Mercedes and VW rain starts, wipers come on, lights come on.

With Volvo - Rain starts, wipers come on, lights don't come on.

With Volvo, light level drops, lights come on.