Cannot connect to service

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

Hi all

I have connected my car to both my phone hotspot and to my home wifi. Connection works - the car connects and has the standard white wifi symbols on the display. However the Download Centre shows No Connection to Service. The car tries to download Volvo Connect ID or something automatically which is an app and it attempts and fails. And there it sits. I assume as because it cannot connect to Volvo. So.. anyone else had this? What can I do about it?

thanks
David
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD

DB2k

Post by DB2k »

It's off for a 'service' i.e. software upgrade and reboot in a week and a half. See if that sorts it. Super annoyed cant do this OTA
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Have you set up your Volvo ID? You will need this whatever.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

yup - can start car from my iPhone
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

This seems to be a common problem if you have the "free" Vodafone 100Gb sim card. I spent 2 weeks trying to get this to work properly with the Volvo On Call service without success. The On Call App link is fine, so I can access the car remotely to check that it's locked, etc. etc. but the sim card itself would not link to Vodafone, despite me trying via mobile hot spots, linking to my home wifi, and so on. Today the dealer tried again and after 1/2 hour without success took the car away from the dealer site to a place where the Vodafone network signal was at its strongest. Eventually the sim card and the Vodafone system did connect and the dealer set up my Vodafone account - and the Vodaphone On Call emergency button in the car does now work. If this "free" sim card isn't present (it only started being offered at the beginning of October) the car's built-in sim card links seamlessly to the Volvo On Call service without all these issues.

I later spent another 1/2 hour trying to log on to Vodafone's awful 1990's account system and get the details that the dealer put in for my account changed to what I wanted. The whole Vodaphone "internetinthecar" experience was a nightmare to set up - and the sim card is only free for 1 year or until the 100Gb data is used up. The mobile On Call App link is free for 3 years, but don't confuse it with the 1-year Vodafone offer.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

I got my free vodaphone sim yesterday. It took about 10mins to set up. The dealer did it for me on his mobile phone, following a typed up help step-by-step piece of A4 paper.
It works and continues to work without fault. 100Gb for 12 months free; can't fault it.
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

I haven't got any idea what this 100GB sim is but I will look. Wonder if after a year then if my ability to start the car remotely will disappear and I'll need a new sim. hmm..

Anyway the stupid car started connecting to my home wifi and downloading map updates again very slowly. No idea what has changed but connection seems ok now. I am still taking it to the garage and hopefully they will update the cars software anyway as there's been a few annoyances which might be ironed out a little in newer operating software
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

DB2k wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:31 pm I haven't got any idea what this 100GB sim is but I will look. Wonder if after a year then if my ability to start the car remotely will disappear and I'll need a new sim. hmm..

Anyway the stupid car started connecting to my home wifi and downloading map updates again very slowly. No idea what has changed but connection seems ok now. I am still taking it to the garage and hopefully they will update the cars software anyway as there's been a few annoyances which might be ironed out a little in newer operating software
Here's a couple of web pages with info:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/human-innovation/future-of-driving/connectivity/services/iitc/activate

https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/en-gb/media/pressreleases/256057/volvo-adds-big-data-to-every-new-car-it-sells-in-the-uk
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

DB2k wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:31 pm I haven't got any idea what this 100GB sim is but I will look. Wonder if after a year then if my ability to start the car remotely will disappear and I'll need a new sim. hmm..
I rang my dealer and he obtained the sim and fitted it.

If you remove it, now or in a year's time the car will revert back to its built in sim and continue as normal.
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

The built in Sim is only for VOC actions, I.e remote start, SOS etc. The additional SIm allows you to download and use apps, download map upgrades , receive live traffic on the maps , use Spotify etc.. When it is fitted VOC uses this sim instead of the built in one. if you don’t have the additional sim a mobile phone can be connected to give you this data input. I personally use a 3 data sim which gives 24GB and last up to 24 months. Usually get for about £40 on Amazon.