Data - how does it work?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi

I’m ready, or at least I think I am ready to set up the whole free data thing but have a question or 2. I tried last week to do it but it would appear that there is a problem with Safari. I downloaded another browser to my phone and will try again. However, just can’t get my head round it.

How does the car communicate with the outside world as it stands now (without the free data sim set up)? Obviously, I’m missing something fundamental here but its never been fully explained to me. VOC works and I can see my car wherever I am. So how does VOC and the free data sim differ? Is there a system sim for the car and a personal sim for me? Please can someone find an abacus and explain it to me at a ‘basic’ level ;)
Thanks for your patience - Rob
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

Happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable poster, but this is how I understand it.

The basis data i.e. VOC etc is dealt with by a built in SIM. I don't know where this SIM resides and it may not be a physical SIM but whatever it is, it provides a low level of connectivity.

I you require more facilities, and you don't want to utilise the SIM within your phone, then an additional SIM is required, and this fits into a holder situated in the boot, under the floor cover.

This "car" SIM, or your phone if you prefer, provides data such as traffic updates for the SatNav, Spotify etc.

I understand that when this SIM is used all data, including the VOC data, is now brought in through this one means.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Excellent. That’s just what I needed to hear. Thanks. One last question if I may. My sales guy was a bit vague on the data sim. He thought it would have been installed but wasn’t sure. So, if the sim is installed, when I register it, will I need some sort of activation code or serial number from the sim or will it just be recognised?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

I've had my XC40 just a couple of weeks and I didn't know about the free SIM. I bought a "3 network" SIM from Amazon and installed that.

It was a matter of putting the SIM in the holder in the boot and it worked. I went into the car's settings and set up the car modem, it wasn't complicated.

As I wanted to keep tabs on the data use I registered the SIM on the 3 network website. They sent a text to the SIM, so I could register, which showed up on the car's screen with a code. This part of the process didn't seem to be required as the data was working. It just enabled me to see data usage on the 3 network site.

I subsequently found about the free vodaphone SIM and have requested one from my dealer. Although I've already taken the £43 hit by buying the one from Amazon !!
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

USERof XC40 thank you. I’ll do it at the weekend. We’ve had our car for 2 weeks and have not yet driven it in the dry 😳
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:03 pm USERof XC40 thank you. I’ll do it at the weekend. We’ve had our car for 2 weeks and have not yet driven it in the dry 😳
Same here! Just over two weeks in the NW England. First wash was today - needed a stool for the roof !!
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

Can someone tell me what size SIM the xc40 takes please. Standard, micro, mini, nano?

I already have a sim on EE for my current car but it’s nano, so might need to get a replacement rather than mess with adapters.

Thanks
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

This is the one I initially bought for my XC40.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01M3VJ2B2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It was the full size of the 3 Trio SIM, so presume that's the Standard size.

Then I discovered that Volvo were giving away a free 100gb Vodafone SIM which lasts 12 months. So I got one from my dealer, keeping the 24gb for 12months time.
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

PeeBee wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:34 pm This is the one I initially bought for my XC40.

Then I discovered that Volvo were giving away a free 100gb Vodafone SIM which lasts 12 months. So I got one from my dealer, keeping the 24gb for 12months time.
Thanks PeeBee. I’ll ring EE and get a full size replacement. Sold my Jaguar XE today so car-less for a few weeks until XC arrives.
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

alanplum241276 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:43 pm
PeeBee wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:34 pm This is the one I initially bought for my XC40.

Thanks PeeBee. I’ll ring EE and get a full size replacement. Sold my Jaguar XE today so car-less for a few weeks until XC arrives.
If you ring your Volvo dealer you could get your free 100gb SIM; it lasts for 12 months.