White FE T5 - Mismatched paint on bumpers

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi all,

I've had my Crystal White First Edition T5 for almost a year now, and I am enjoying it very much.

However, I did notice a few months ago that the front and rear bumpers are a slightly different colour to the rest of the car. Now I've seen it I can't un-see it!

Has anyone else noticed this?

It is in for it's first service on Wednesday so I was going to bring it to the dealers attention then.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)

Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

I took a conscious look at mine today and the bumpers do seem to be slightly darker/greyer.
Thanks for pointing it out !! :D
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I wonder if the bumpers come pre-painted and are just bolted on. If that’s the case, a slight mismatch would occur.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Dermottdog wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:05 pm I wonder if the bumpers come pre-painted and are just bolted on. If that’s the case, a slight mismatch would occur.
But so are the door mirrors and fuel flap, all plastic yet a good match.
Other manufacturers also fit pre-painted bumpers, I've had several new Audis, never have I seen a difference in colour between separate component parts.
I also have a white BMW motorcycle, there is no difference between any of the panels. In fact I had to have one panel replaced, they come already painted, it was an exact match.
If others can do it then so should Volvo.
It'll be interesting to see what they have to say tomorrow, I suspect they won't do anything.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Well, the dealer agrees with me, there is a shade difference but isn't sure what they can do about it as Volvo's take would be what was mentioned above, that it is due to the paint being applied on two different materials. If pushed I think they would repaint them, but I'm not in favour of that option as the quality of finish, and match, depends on how good the paint sprayer is. My preference would be new, factory sprayed bumpers but, as he says, there'd be no guarantee that the paint would match. I said I would have a think about it and see if I can live with it (I probably can).
rhaleuk

Post by rhaleuk »

I agree with your comment. Mine are not a perfect match. But then if you look at most cars the bumpers don't actually match the body. My BMW never did for sure.

If it helps, I have had to have a new bumper fitted which i ordered painted from Volvo. It was a better match then previously but still different.
XC40 D4 Auto First Edition, Crystal White, Lava Orange, 20" Alloys, Polestar - Ordered 14/3/18 - Delivery 6/10/18
Bob

Post by Bob »

To be fair, I have been looking at other cars/makes, it would appear that on those that are painted white there is often a mismatch between the bumpers and the rest of the vehicle. Other colours seem to be OK.
I'll have to replace my contact lenses for colour/tinted ones, I may not notice it then. ;)