Auto Handbrake

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

kirsty_s2k wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:25 am I started of with it on all the time, but as above - It annoyed me more and more when parking etc. I don't think I've turned it on for at least six months now.
Thanks, that's useful, as most of the posts in this thread have been.

If you don't use the autohold at all what do you tend to use at stops - junctions, traffic lights etc. Do you just use the footbrake or P, or manual handbrake? Might seem a stupid question but I'm new to an automatic geared car.

kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

USERof XC40 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:32 pm
kirsty_s2k wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:25 am I started of with it on all the time, but as above - It annoyed me more and more when parking etc. I don't think I've turned it on for at least six months now.
Thanks, that's useful, as most of the posts in this thread have been.

If you don't use the autohold at all what do you tend to use at stops - junctions, traffic lights etc. Do you just use the footbrake or P, or manual handbrake? Might seem a stupid question but I'm new to an automatic geared car.
I just sit at lights etc with foot on the brake, and I use the auto pilot a lot in stop start traffic on motorway. If I was doing a bit more town driving I might use it more whilst in slow traffic if auto pilot isn't an option - but I don't have much need for it on the commute I do at the moment.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Godders

Post by Godders »

For short stops I use the foot brake (but with an individual drive mode in which stop/start is disabled. For longer stops I use the manual handbrake in exactly the same way as I have done for years on cars without the auto handbrake. Works fine for me on the type of driving I normally do - though I can imagine that the auto handbrake might be fairly useful in heavy or slow-moving traffic.
Inscription T4 automatic Onyx Black
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

Godders wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:52 am For short stops I use the foot brake (but with an individual drive mode in which stop/start is disabled. For longer stops I use the manual handbrake in exactly the same way as I have done for years on cars without the auto handbrake. Works fine for me on the type of driving I normally do - though I can imagine that the auto handbrake might be fairly useful in heavy or slow-moving traffic.
Thanks, sorry for so many questions. With my previous manuals for a long stop I'd go into neutral and pop the handbrake on. What would you do in an auto? Would you just use the handbrake as you say or would you use P and the handbrake, or go into N and the handbrake.

I'll get there eventually !!!
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Problem is with not turning it on you will dazzle the drivers behind you at traffic lights etc by keeping your foot on the brake pedal. Easy to turn off when tight manoeuvring needed.
D4 R-design in black.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Got a D3R. Never use it, and always disable the stop/start.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

xbimmer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:35 am Problem is with not turning it on you will dazzle the drivers behind you at traffic lights etc by keeping your foot on the brake pedal. Easy to turn off when tight manoeuvring needed.
That's absolutely wrong, auto hold keeps the rear lights on. I've sat before another XC40 and with the stops being bulbs not leds, didn't find it extremely annoying...
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

ciuncky wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 am
xbimmer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:35 am Problem is with not turning it on you will dazzle the drivers behind you at traffic lights etc by keeping your foot on the brake pedal. Easy to turn off when tight manoeuvring needed.
That's absolutely wrong, auto hold keeps the rear lights on. I've sat before another XC40 and with the stops being bulbs not leds, didn't find it extremely annoying...
Yep - I thought when I first had it that it would stop the brake lights ... but it doesn't :(
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

According to the manual the AutoHold can use the footbrake to hold - this presumably lights up the brake lights. But in certain circumstances the handbrake is used. Presumably this wouldn't light up the brake lights.
The circumstances that choose either foot or hand are listed in the manual.

For my use I switch the AutoHold off for maneuvering. Seems to work well for me.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I find the auto hold invaluable as someone who has not had an electronic parking brake before. Only problem is when I drive the wifes Fiesta I forget to put the mechanical brake on.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.