Auto Handbrake

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

EdK wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 am
As someone who has driven automatics for years I found it initially disconcerting not to have the “creep” when releasing the foot brake. So for me its default position is off. But in traffic or for things like waiting at a level crossing I find it, in combination with stop-start, helpful as it enables me to release the foot brake when stationery. But I toggle it off again when on the move.
As a newcomer to automatics (over 40 years driving with manuals) after a bit of experimentation I've decided to do the opposite.

So for me it's ON by default when driving and stop starting at junctions and traffic lights, but at the end of the journey, and sometimes at the beginning, when I have to manoeuvre and/or (parallel) park, I switch it OFF.

I then have the creep and (almost) the fine control as I had with my manuals. When on the move it's back to OFF.

Klanky

Post by Klanky »

Mine is a manual and I quite like the auto brake. My previous Mercedes had a thing called "brake hold" where if you pressed the brake pedal again, it would lock the brakes on until you either touched the accelerator or drove away normally.

I find that the auto function works fine 98% of the time and so i've left it on.