Auto Handbrake

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

Anyone still drive with the Auto Handbrake function activated?

I'm new to automatic gears and found the function a godsend initially, especially at traffic lights.

Now I'm not so sure, it makes maneuvering in tight spaces, particularly on a slope, really hard. It constantly puts on the handbrake at every opportunity, when really I just want a roll or creep.

What do you do; switch it off permanently or just when maneuvering?

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I do. I found the same annoyances where it came in too early, but since having the car serviced in September, and the latest software installed, this very rarely happens now. I’m in a manual, so for quick manoeuvring, not having to worry about the handbrake and being able to concentrate more on clutch and accelerator control is much easier.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

Didn't realise the manual gears had it also.
Problem I have with its combination with auto gears is you don't have a clutch.

So when maneuvering on a slope sometimes you just want to roll a bit closer. With auto handbrake the handbrake comes on stopping you from rolling. The only way to glide that last 300mm is to tap the accelerator. With a manual clutch I had more control. Think I'll switch it off, at least for a trial.
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

I drive an automatic and find the auto hold function really useful and covenient. However I do agree it can be a bit of a nuisance when manoeuvering on a slope so I switch it off temporarily when doing so.
T5 R Design Pro AWD in Bursting Blue with Xenium, Winter Plus, Intellisafe and Convenience packs
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I only turn it on in traffic. Rest of the time it is off and when manoeuvring slowly I use the creep and control it with the foot brake.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

I thought there was something wrong with our new car because the handbrake kept coming on when trying to reverse gently out of our driveway or shuffle into a parking space, making things very awkward. I discovered that my wife had turned it on (honestly, fancy fiddling with the settings just because it's her car....) so it was immediately turned of and all was well again.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
Godders

Post by Godders »

When I picked up my car a year ago the sales lady explained the auto handbrake to me, and as it sounded like a useful facility I asked her to turn it on. Big mistake. The first time I drove the car I had to get it out of a very tight space in the dealer's car park - and because of the auto handbrake my usual technique with automatics of edging forwards on the foot brake without touching the accelerator didn't work, as the handbrake kept coming on. By then the sales lady had disappeared and I had forgotten how to turn it off - so I proceeded in a series of lurches as I pressed first the accelerator and then the foot brake. How I didn't hit anything I have no idea.

Once I got home and could look in the manual to find out how to turn it off I did so - and it has stayed off ever since.
Inscription T4 automatic Onyx Black
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

Lots of useful info, thanks all.

I've left it ON for now during normal driving as I find it useful at junctions and traffic lights.

BUT I've experimented, and like very much, switching it off, via the central tunnel button with green LED, when manoeuvring. The creep forward using the foot brake is a far better technique than lurching forward and backward with the parking brake keep coming on.

As "Godders" said this was exactly my experience - the dealer set it up and told me to leave the facility switched on, never mentioning the downside of having the handbrake switching on just when you don't need it, i.e. when manoeuvring in a car park with cars and pedestrians all around.

I'll see how it goes and may switch it off in normal driving as well.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Wow - i'm impressed - a dealer telling YOU what to do with your car and how to set it up based on your own preferences and driving needs?
That sounds like terrible service...
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I started of with it on all the time, but as above - It annoyed me more and more when parking etc. I don't think I've turned it on for at least six months now.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)