Auto Handbrake

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bob

Post by Bob »

I love the Autohold.
Just tried mine in the garage, the brake lights go off when activated.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)

USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

Bob wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:42 pm I love the Autohold.
Just tried mine in the garage, the brake lights go off when activated.
I haven't tested this but the manual says that sometime the footbrake is used to AutoHold the car, sometimes the parkbrake. Presumably the footbrake keeps the brake lights on and the parkbrake doesn't.

According to the manual the parkbrake is used when:

• the car is switched off
• the driver's door is opened
• the driver's seatbelt is unbuckled
• the car has been stationary for a longer time (5-10 minutes).

I'll have to do some testing :)
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

Yep, just done some testing. On AutoHold the green A illuminates on the dash, the car is AutoHold by an application of the footbrake and the brakes lights are lit.

If I apply the parking brake the car is held on the parking brake (this is indicated by a red P on the dash) and there are no brake lights.

Have to test when the stop/start is active (car not warm enough) as presumably this would activate the parking brake (hence no brake lights) as turning off the engine is on the list in my previous post.
Bob

Post by Bob »

USERof XC40 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:20 pm
I haven't tested this but the manual says that sometime the footbrake is used to AutoHold the car, sometimes the parkbrake. Presumably the footbrake keeps the brake lights on and the parkbrake doesn't.

I don't think I had my seat belt fastened when i tried it, so maybe that is why the lights went off :?:
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Yeah well, when i said above the lights are on, it was in reply to topic which mentioned dazzling other drivers in standstill traffic. I mean, i for one have my seatbelt on, door closed and car on :)
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Maybe I should post this on the "things you have just found out about your XC40" - always just assumed that auto applied the handbrake, difficult to see from the driver's seat!!
D4 R-design in black.
K1t

Post by K1t »

I always assumed that the centre instrument AUTO brake symbol (top-centre) was GREEN when the handbrake was applied and turns to RED when full wheel braking is applied..........could be wrong?
XC40 T3 R-Design (as it comes, no frills) FWD, Manual, my2020, 163bhp, Crystal White, Tempa Spare Wheel Kit, Folding boot floor, Sunglasses Holder. Paintwork/Trim sealed with Zirconite Quartz Nano Coating, Park assist camera kit (self fit)
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

K1t wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:01 pm I always assumed that the centre instrument AUTO brake symbol (top-centre) was GREEN when the handbrake was applied and turns to RED when full wheel braking is applied..........could be wrong?

See page 398 of the manual with reference to AutoHold:

((A))
The symbol is illuminated when
the function uses the foot brake
to keep the car stationary.

((P))
The symbol is illuminated when
the function uses the parking
brake to keep the car stationary.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Bob wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 pm
USERof XC40 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:20 pm

I don't think I had my seat belt fastened when i tried it, so maybe that is why the lights went off :?:
So today, with my seat belt on, the brake lights stayed on :(
EdK

Post by EdK »

As someone who has driven automatics for years I found it initially disconcerting not to have the “creep” when releasing the foot brake. So for me its default position is off. But in traffic or for things like waiting at a level crossing I find it, in combination with stop-start, helpful as it enables me to release the foot brake when stationary. But I toggle it off again when on the move.
Last edited by EdK on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inscription Pro T4 in denim blue, ordered 2 Jan 2019, collected 30 March 2019. Intellisafe pro, 360 camera, convenience pack, spare wheel, smartphone integration