XC40 UK VOC issues

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

My XC40 remote started/stopped from the App from day 1. No car internal SIM installed or phone connected. I think it has a VOC App connectivity without retro installed data SIM.

Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Just to confirm that removing the free Vodafone sim has now made my VOC work as it should
scnps

Post by scnps »

So a latest update to my VOC issue. Just received car back after 3 days in the workshop but still no resolve.
Software wiped, reinstalled, batteries drained, updates and patches all applied. Technical from Sweden even spending time with local dealers workshop technicians trying to resolve.
Anyway after they've discussed issue with factory it now appears that it is a batch from the factory with this. All to do now is wait for a promised resolve that is being worked on. Though don't know how many cars are in a batch but presume these would be RH drive only during a batch run.
I can but wait, but will try and seek some sort of compensation for all this hassle.
On a side note since getting the car back my car modem no longer works, so another 'angry' email going to dealer tomorrow.....

As already relayed to dealership and Volvo UK, this is my seventh Volvo over 26 years and has been the worse experience in the 4 weeks of having it, though cannot refute the XC40 is a great car aesthetically and to drive, shame about the underlying things.
XC40 Inscription (MY20) T4 FWD 2.0l petrol automatic - Denim Blue - Xenium pack, Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

Our car was delivered to the UK about 3 weeks ago and we cannot get VOC to work fully - it connects fine to a mobile phone without needing the home wifi (once it was set up) but there's no connection to Volvo. I might try removing the free sim card to see if the on-call button works when reverting to the standard built-in sim, but just as a test. I'll be having words with the dealer tomorrow - they ought to be able to track the batch of cars with a software / firmware problem, if that's what it is.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
Stavut

Post by Stavut »

VOC is working for me. However, the connection seems lacking/unstable as it takes a long time after pressing on the app for it to go through.

From Denmark here and no sim at the moment.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

It's working at last!

Today the dealer tried again and after 1/2 hour without success took the car away from the dealer's site to a place where they reckoned that the Vodafone network signal was at its strongest. Eventually the sim card and the Vodafone system did connect, apparently, and the dealer was able to set up my Vodafone account - and the Vodaphone On Call emergency button in the car does now work, as well as options such as displaying weather forecasts on the car's centre screen.

I later spent more time trying to log on to and use Vodafone's awful 1990's-style user accounts system and (eventually) correct a few of the details that the dealer had put in for my account. The whole Vodaphone "internetinthecar" experience was a nightmare to set up - and the sim card is only free for 1 year from when it actually links up, or until the 100Gb data is used up. At least my dealer has now learned how to sort it out (he has a backlog of cars to fix!) but I for one will not be renewing with Vodafone at the end of the year.

The Volvo mobile On Call App link is free for 3 years, but not linked to the 1-year Vodafone offer - they are quite separate.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
scnps

Post by scnps »

So a final update and at last after 7 weeks now resolved.
Apparently a select batch from the factory, lucky me, had faulty VCM (vehicle control modules) fitted and after a replacement, costing Volvo £3k+ all my VOC woes are now gone.
XC40 Inscription (MY20) T4 FWD 2.0l petrol automatic - Denim Blue - Xenium pack, Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

Don't believe £3k+. The REAL cost of electronic modules is very small, once designed and put into production. I believe that corporate accountants have to allocate the development cost of all the electronics back to the car model, so the apparent manufacturing cost will include a big slice for electronics design and programming, but unlike other manufactured parts the actual cost of making circuit boards is tiny in comparison. Of course, the accountants base the "spares" cost on what has been counted in the car build cost (multiplied by about 3, I guess) - which is acceptable for things like alternators, fuel systems, engines and so on but is a money-making racket for electronics.

I had a Vauxhall Carlton back in the 1980's that had a faulty ECU diagnosed, and the cost of a replacement plug-in was £800+. I saw it, and it could not have cost more than £5 to actually manufacture as part of a batch run. I wrote to Vauxhall to complain that it was dishonest or even fraudulent to effectively include the development cost a second time - particularly for something that had failed - but they ignored me of course.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
scnps

Post by scnps »

Re: XC40 UK VOC issues
Quote Gnomeface

yes you're probably right or they are calculating the labour costs over the 6 days the car was in and out over the duration of fault finding.

Requesting at a minimum they extend the subscription by 2 months.
scnps

Post by scnps »

So a week on and all appears to be good. Wife happy with getting the car defrosted and warmed remotely before heading off to work at 4am.
Send To mapping all good for me.
So Volvo UK offered extra year VOC subscription or £50 accessory voucher, took voucher as sub only £35.
From dealer I now have a load compartment mat and refund (£200) for taking family out for meal as good will for the VOC issue I had.