Can anyone tell me what this is?....

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Moosexcvolvo

Post by Moosexcvolvo »

Hi all

New owner, took delivery last Thursday (company lease, so the customer service/handover was virtually non-existent!) Got a bunch of keys and various paperwork shoved in my hand when the bloke delivered the car. After he'd gone I found this item...see pic....attached to a spare glove box key.

Can anyone shed any light to what it is, please?

Cheers
HB

20190913_080616.jpg

MY20 | R Design Pro | D4 | Bursting Blue

bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

That is your Sport Key - Smaller to take it jogging etc and easier to put in your pocket or on a cord around your neck etc. Will operate the car but not have the accessory buttons to lock unlock or panic etc.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I was told its called a swim key. If you have it with you, you can open the car doors using the door handles but it does not have any buttons on it for opening from a distance. Nor is there a manual key inside it. The idea is that the key is sealed so its something that's less bulky than the main set of keys so you can put it in your wallet or attach it to your swim wear I guess.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Moosexcvolvo

Post by Moosexcvolvo »

Thanks both. And you've inadvertently answered another question, as this explains why I could start the car when the big key was in the house - I'd left this in the glove box, better take it out now!
MY20 | R Design Pro | D4 | Bursting Blue
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I didn't get one of these. Should I have or is it only certain models or an extra?
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

This Sport Key is usually found in the key fob box Volvo supplies with the car - it was located under the other Key Fob.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

Here is information about the Sport Key:

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9866/~/key-tag-%28sport-key%29
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

This is the sport key for the keyless drive, an option for the r design & inscription trim.

I just tried it and would like to use it as my normal daily key instead because of the size. Nevertheless I have question: anyone know how long the battery last and how to recharge/replace the battery?
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

From other sites seems to last 2.5 - 3 years. I have been using mine for 2 years now and still ok. Bloody expensive to replace, about £150. Some have managed to split it apart and renew battery and reseal, but probably not waterproof any more
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Whiterdesign wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:58 pm From other sites seems to last 2.5 - 3 years. I have been using mine for 2 years now and still ok. Bloody expensive to replace, about £150. Some have managed to split it apart and renew battery and reseal, but probably not waterproof any more
Thank you :-)