Paint scratch help!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
alexnisbett

Post by alexnisbett »

Loving our T5 Auto in Fusion Red, sadly didn't need to wait long for the first 'ding', or more accurately a scratch (from the watch I was wearing so totally my fault). I was slightly surprised how easily the bare metal was exposed and now wondering how best to fix it.

Has anyone had success with those touch-up pens? Or one of those mobile callout services? Or maybe even a dealership?

Appreciate all thoughts. Cheers... Alex

IMG_9584.JPG

IMG_9585.JPG

XC40 T-5 AWD R-Design Pro Auto MY19 Fusion Red Xenium Intellisafe... Insta @red_xc40

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

alexnisbett wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:21 am Loving our T5 Auto in Fusion Red, sadly didn't need to wait long for the first 'ding', or more accurately a scratch (from the watch I was wearing so totally my fault). I was slightly surprised how easily the bare metal was exposed and now wondering how best to fix it.

Has anyone had success with those touch-up pens? Or one of those mobile callout services? Or maybe even a dealership?

Appreciate all thoughts. Cheers... Alex

IMG_9584.JPGIMG_9585.JPG
I've used 'Chips Away' and they were brilliant, and reasonably priced.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’ve used chips away a few times, to tidy up before lease returns, and they’re ok. Looks quite a large chip, so a touch up job would show up quite a lot. Might need a bit more.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

+1 for chips away. You might want to just touch up for now and see how many more chips scratches and dings you get over time. Then get them all done at once as a job lot.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

As you say, I'm surprised how the paint has come off, must be a sharp edge on your watch. I had a dealer touch up some paint chips on a previous car and I can do a better job myself!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

I would certainly not use the dealer. Dealers tend to use a local 'SMART' repair service and add their own mark-up. Chips-away and similar 'SMART' repairers are likely to do a much better job than you could do yourself but much depends on the skill of the individual operator so ask around for recommendations if you can. I've had good work done by Chips-away in the past.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
AyrshireXC90

Post by AyrshireXC90 »

One of the problems with a smart repair is the risk of grit or dust showing on the repair. As the scratch seems quite deep, it is likely to need several coats to get an invisible repair. Our local Fiat franchise (now closed) managed to inflict a similarly deep scratch on a door cill when out Fiat 500 was in for servicing last year. I asked them to take it to the local bodyshop (same company), but the service manager (who admitted fault) declined and insisted on a smart repair. After the third attempt, she finally agreed to send it to a bodyshop (not their local one), who botched the job and got grit and dust over at least 1/3 of the paintwork (yes, all for just a 2" scratch!!!), as well as overspray on the paint and interior. She finally admitted defeat, and it went to the local (Ford) bodyshop in Ayr who could not have been more helpful. The result (finally) was paintwork that looked new, despite the car being 2 years old at the time. They also added Supergard. Cost the Fiat franchise a hefty whack, all because they tried to fix their damage on the cheap.
So, there is a risk with smart repairs that is less likely with a professional bodyshop job.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Use Chips Away - they're pretty good. Spend the money saved on a new watch.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

balmoral wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:44 pm Use Chips Away - they're pretty good. Spend the money saved on a new watch.
Excellent advice balmoral! Or something used from 'Watchfinder'
millview

Post by millview »

Try a Chipex kit...I've used on the xc40 and my bmw...takes a little effort but works pretty well and you can use the kit multiple times on stone chips, etc.