What have you just found out about your XC40.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Last couple of days my car has suddenly started a single wipe of the windscreen every single time I start it up. If I've been quick and selected reverse, it wipes the rear screen too. Anyone else had this happen? I wondered if it had a software update, and this was some new feature.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Felindre wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm Last couple of days my car has suddenly started a single wipe of the windscreen every single time I start it up. If I've been quick and selected reverse, it wipes the rear screen too. Anyone else had this happen? I wondered if it had a software update, and this was some new feature.
It’s not a bug, it’s a feature :lol: Did you try deactivating the rain sensor? There might be condensation on the windshield rain sensor. If the issues is still repeating with the rain sensor deactivated then it’s a software problem.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Felindre wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm Last couple of days my car has suddenly started a single wipe of the windscreen every single time I start it up. If I've been quick and selected reverse, it wipes the rear screen too. Anyone else had this happen? I wondered if it had a software update, and this was some new feature.
Maybe a read of the manual might help 🤔
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

I have lost track of how many cars I have had with rain sensors, but the Volvo is the first one where the setting is persistent across restarts. On every other car I have had you had to turn it on each time you started the car.
I have found over the years that what a sensor sees as a wet screen differs wildly from what I see, sometimes cleaning what appears to me be a clear screen, and sometimes waiting until the screen is awash before starting, so I would guess that it may as eugen61 suggests, with you being unaware that the auto setting was on. Hope this is more useful than a suggestion to read the manual.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Chris John wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:21 am
Maybe a read of the manual might help 🤔
I read the manual cover to cover before I got the car. :-) yes I know about auto wipe, I've had it on since I got the car. Oh and yes I turned auto wipe off and back on. But this has only started happening the last few days, warm dry day, clear windscreen, each and every time I start it, various times of the day, even after a recent run, it dies just a single wipe.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

From your description, beside a software bug, I guess an electronic failure in the sensor might also explain the problem.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Right, so it's not started happening for anyone else? I just wondered if it had had a software update that caused this.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Felindre wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:15 pm Right, so it's not started happening for anyone else? I just wondered if it had had a software update that caused this.
It started happening to me too! This spring and summer I've had the rain sensor on most of the time and I can't recall it had ever auto started upon starting the engine on. Couple of days ago I left it on after a longer drive, during which it rained. On Sunday I started the engine and noticed the exact behaviour - the front wipers started and then the rear one wiped with just one move. Nothing else and I just thought: "Well, that's odd. It must have started because the rain sensor is on, but I can't remember it happened earlier".
I have to admit the windshield had some flies (leftovers) on it, perhaps that's what triggered the sensor in my case.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Are you sure you haven't nudged the switch on the end of the right stalk?
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Not every single start for several days, and the switch in the end is for the rear, this is the front, THEN rear as my habit leaving home is start then a couple of seconds and select reverse.

Anyway, seems to have now gone as mysteriously as it appeared.