What have you just found out about your XC40.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

ciuncky wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:54 am
Gnomeface wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 am What have I just discovered about this otherwise excellent car?
- I can't tell if the headlights are on or off in daylight (there's no green light in the dashboard display other than the little one that's always on); this is the first car I've ever owned that doesn't have it - and in fog or spray it's vital for safety to know whether the headlights are actually switched on or not (they are normally on the Auto setting).
What i did was set up a really bright instrument/menu display, and pretty dim for night mode. This way i can see really good in very bright days (of which aren't many!) and it's dim enough not to distract when it's dark outside.

The menu switching from day to night is a very good give-away regarding your headlight status :)

As far as I'm aware the auto switching of the menu from day to night has no direct connection with the auto lights being on or off.

ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

PeeBee wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm
Gnomeface wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 am What have I just discovered about this otherwise excellent car?
- I can't tell if the headlights are on or off in daylight (there's no green light in the dashboard display other than the little one that's always on); this is the first car I've ever owned that doesn't have it - and in fog or spray it's vital for safety to know whether the headlights are actually switched on or not (they are normally on the Auto setting).
What i did was set up a really bright instrument/menu display, and pretty dim for night mode. This way i can see really good in very bright days (of which aren't many!) and it's dim enough not to distract when it's dark outside.

The menu switching from day to night is a very good give-away regarding your headlight status :)

As far as I'm aware the auto switching of the menu from day to night has no direct connection with the auto lights being on or off.
That would make sense, however that's not what i was saying.
I was saying that IF the headlights are on AUTO, the menu switching from day to night should equal the headlights switching from DRL to dipped beam.

I need to test this properly, but it would be incredibly stupid not to work as above!
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

ciuncky wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:27 pm
PeeBee wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm

That would make sense, however that's not what i was saying.
I was saying that IF the headlights are on AUTO, the menu switching from day to night should equal the headlights switching from DRL to dipped beam.

I need to test this properly, but it would be incredibly stupid not to work as above!
I'm not sure what you mean. What I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be a direct connection. So yes it is stupid. When the display darkens the exterior lights have NOT necessarily come on.
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

I can confirm that in my XC40 today the lights set to Auto resulted in dipped beam for my journey home in dim'ish light conditions. However the dashboard lights swopped between Dark and Light during the same journey. The auto conditions - Lights and Dashboard have no direct correlation between them. You'd think Volvo would tie the two together to give a certain indication of the dipped beam being on.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

I thought that the menu brightness switching was based on ambient light - but whether its linked to the automatic headlight on-off system is questionable (my Mercedes has separate sensors for each). Whichever, it doesn't help in foggy or wet daylight conditions when I need to know at a glance whether my headlights are on or off.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

Well yesterday I changed lanes from being behind a van into a lane that was stationary. I had plenty of time to slow down sensibly as in not slamming the brakes on. the car did not agree, and like a constricting anaconda, the seat belts for both front passengers were pulled in tight. A motor actually dragged them in. not had that before.
I do find the car is very nervous. beeps going off all the time about things getting too close or the brakes going and stopping me doing what im trying to do. esp when reversing.
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

DB2k wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:45 am Well yesterday I changed lanes from being behind a van into a lane that was stationary. I had plenty of time to slow down sensibly as in not slamming the brakes on. the car did not agree, and like a constricting anaconda, the seat belts for both front passengers were pulled in tight. A motor actually dragged them in. not had that before.
I do find the car is very nervous. beeps going off all the time about things getting too close or the brakes going and stopping me doing what im trying to do. esp when reversing.
Check your settings. You can reduce the sensitivity of the auto braking so it happens less often.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I set mine to the late setting after a couple of unnecesary activations but when it braked again when passing a van in a layby with a car coming the other way, neither of which were close, it gets turned off with the stop/start. I hate this kind of tech.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

Had my xc40 5 days now.. just realised that if I stick a USB key in that contains videos then you can watch them on the main Sensus screen! Not sure if it still works when moving, I'd hope not.
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
Blue Velvet

Post by Blue Velvet »

Momentum Pro D3:

You can cool your drinks in the glove compartment. The dealership didn’t even know that.
Strangely, it isn’t lockable - misplaced priorities!
Momentum Pro D3
Red Fusion ;)