Paddle shifters on all automatic gear? (Momentum?)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Stavut

Post by Stavut »

Hi all,

First of all thanks for a great forum. I have ordered my XC40 (T3 Momentum) back in late June for delivery in October and looking much forward to it.

I recall there was a press release back in july stating that all new XC40's with automatic gear would include paddle shifters (I'm not sure if it's true, as a few different sites report differently)

So I wanted to ask any of those that have received a momentum recently with an automatic gearbox, if there's been paddle shifters on those or not.

Thanks a lot! and looking forward to otherwise reading more about the car before the coming delivery.

All the best from Denmark.

gt40

Post by gt40 »

Reading the MY2020 spec sheet I have (UK) the paddle shifts are standard on the R-Design only
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

I was told the same, paddle shifts only on R-Design, by the dealer and that was one of the reasons why I did not go for the inscription.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I'm pretty sure RD is the only one with shifters now, and it actually got incorporated into the trim.
Until now, you could have added paddles as an extra, and i think then it was possible to get on all trim levels.
Stavut

Post by Stavut »

Thanks a lot for the response. I took the interpretation from the press release below. However, I can see that it can also be interpreted as only r design. I may have mistook it for all with automatic transmission.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/en-gb/media/pressreleases/255043/volvo-increases-xc40s-winning-appeal-with-powertrain-upgrades-enhanced-equipment-levels-and-new-opti
Stavut

Post by Stavut »

ciuncky wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:43 pm I'm pretty sure RD is the only one with shifters now, and it actually got incorporated into the trim.
Until now, you could have added paddles as an extra, and i think then it was possible to get on all trim levels.
The press release makes perfect sense then with the incorporation on the trim level. I didn't know that it was optional only. Thanks for the clarification.
johnd

Post by johnd »

ciuncky wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:43 pm Until now, you could have added paddles as an extra, and i think then it was possible to get on all trim levels.
AFAIK it was only ever available - at least in the UK - on the R-Design (not sure about FE, but of the 3 long-term trim levels).

A bit stupid really IMO because there's no obvious reason why it couldn't be fitted to any (non-manual) version - it's just this enforced grouping of options that Volvo insist on and which must put off at least some buyers. Personally, I don't care for the R-Design fascia and door trims - just not sure I could live with those patterns long-term, but I really would appreciate the option of paddles on eg Inscription.
Last edited by johnd on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Skoda and the rest of the VW Group are worse when deciding on what you must have when making particular choices rather than what you want which is one of the reasons why I moved away from them for the practical car.

I agree it is a bit daft that you can't have the paddles on other trim levels. Afterall, even the R-Design isn't a sports car and I find them useful on occasions even when driving in a leisurely manner. I'm not that keen on the trims either and would have liked other choices but can live with them as I'm more than happy with other aspects of the R-Design.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I've got them on my R design...never used them! Gearbox is so good at changing gear!
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Blastpipe wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 pm I've got them on my R design...never used them! Gearbox is so good at changing gear!
Glad to hear. Some on this forum have said that the box is sluggish and the charges are delayed causing the engine to over-rev. It seems you can have 20 identical cars of the same spec and have 20 different opinions. But I guess that’s life.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.