Key not in car warning?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
xfield

Post by xfield »

Picked up my new XC40 yesterday, and today was stood in the coffee shop looking back at the car, wondering why the lights were on and the mirrors hadn't folded - when the horror dawned on me that I'd simply gotten out of the car and not stopped the engine - the engine had simply stopped under the stop/start feature. I couldn't remotely lock it, nor stop the engine with the mobile app.

In my old car (a Mondeo) it'd make a lot of noise as soon as the driver's door was opened whilst the engine was running, so you'd know to stop the engine - it'd also honk the horn if you tried to lock the doors whilst the engine was running. I don't recall any settings for this sort of stuff from paging through the screens last night, nor can I find anything in the online manual. Is there a way to make it shout about the fact the engine is running but the key has left the car?

My internet searching has only found this story: https://www.driving.co.uk/news/jeremy-clarkson-met-volvo-xc40-owner-didnt-know-switch-off-engine/
Inscription Pro | D4 AWD | Denim Blue | Xenium | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration

Tangsoodo

Post by Tangsoodo »

I’ve only had my xc40 a couple of days and I’ve noticed the same. I pull up on the drive and the engine cuts out and I’m left thinking I’ve parked it. I tend to hit the park button which I believe then puts the gearbox into park and applies the handbrake. I can’t remember if you still need to hit the stop button. It’s all a bit new to me so I tend to push everything. My last car used to beep at you if you got out and left it running
xfield

Post by xfield »

I've found sometimes the car automatically turns off the ignition when I open the door, after parking and pressing P - but not always. I'm not sure if its reliant on having reversed first. I now panic and double check everytime. It does chime if the door is opened while the engine is running, but its a bit gentle.
Inscription Pro | D4 AWD | Denim Blue | Xenium | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

My car chimes, quite loudly, if I open the door still running or even if ignition still engaged.