To fog light or not to fog light?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
emporiky

Post by emporiky »

Okay I realise this is really a small detail and might be (actually it is) a stupid dilemma :mrgreen: , but I ordered my XC40 without realising that here in Belgium the fog lights are not standard for any trim level unless selected as a separate option or as part of 1500 EUR (!!!) ‘light pack’.

Frankly I don’t care that much for their functionality - I don’t think they make such a difference in bad weather, I am rather considering it as a design element. To me it seems the car looks a bit... as if it’s missing something with those plastic elements in place of the fog lights. Here are some photos of the Fusion red Momentum Pro which I ordered with and without fog lights.

Any opinions to help me take a decision on whether its worth another email to the dealer and another 200 EUR (price if selected as a separate option) would be much appreciated ;)

F3430F7D-300B-480C-BA93-B48F0472D795.jpeg

01C1AB6F-82A2-479B-BA40-C9A25531878D.jpeg

Current car: XC40 T4, Momentum Pro, Fusion Red
Premium Audio, Intelisafe, Park Assist 360, Versatility, Xenium, Winter packs

Previous car: Volvo V40 T3 Inscription

Chris B

Post by Chris B »

From a practicality point of view the foglights work well when required but that is not often, and they do also have the cornering function when linked to the bending headlight option. But they are not really a necessity.
As you say your your decision is based on the design element and the look of the car which is always subjective to the individual.
You seem to have specified your car with numerous packs and spent accordingly. I suspect you will probably regret it if you do not also specify the foglights, and to be honest €200 seems a reasonable cost option.Whatever you decide to do enjoy the car!
T5 R Design Pro AWD in Bursting Blue with Xenium, Winter Plus, Intellisafe and Convenience packs
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Both options have the plastic elements, though of different profiles and the small fog lights don't make that much of a difference visually. Be different if the fog light filled the whole of the recess and the difference therefore stark.

But as said, the additional cost is only small in the scheme of things and I think it will play on your mind in the future if you don't go for them! You know you want to!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
emporiky

Post by emporiky »

Thank you for the balanced opinions ;) Аs you rightly noted I already selected various options and packs, thus stretching the budget significantly. That T4 engine would especially cost me dearly mainly because of tax policies in Belgium.
So while 200 EUR is not that big deal, I kind of want to teach myself that I cant have it all, especially as its not like its a big sacrifice : ))
Current car: XC40 T4, Momentum Pro, Fusion Red
Premium Audio, Intelisafe, Park Assist 360, Versatility, Xenium, Winter packs

Previous car: Volvo V40 T3 Inscription
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

emporiky wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:28 pm
Any opinions to help me take a decision on whether its worth another email to the dealer and another 200 EUR (price if selected as a separate option) would be much appreciated ;)
I have always gone in the past for the fog lights option if not standard. My main reason was not that they make a huge difference to seeing your way but they make it much easier for cars coming the other way to see you in bad weather. Whether this is still true with LED day time driving lights is moot. They do enhance looks but is it the best use of your €200?
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel