Tyre recommendations?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
bintyandthebeast

Post by bintyandthebeast »

Hi guys picked up our used XC40 FE D4 this morning, but needing a couple of front tyres.

Car is currently sitting on Continental PremiumContact 6 from factory and managed 10,700 miles, but now on the limit on the front, around 4.5mm on the rears. This is on 235/50/19 99V R-Design wheels.

Looking for reviews if anybody has experience of other tyres please.

Current considerations include:
- Conti’s again - if it’s good enough for Volvo.... (£148 each)
- Pirelli Scorpion Verde - factory fit on my XC90 (£130 each)
- Michelin CrossClimate - as I have on my daughter’s car and am impressed. (£184 each)

I know the mileage I should expect from the Conti’s, but any comments gratefully received.
Binty: 2018 XC40 D4 First Edition in Crystal White with P*
The Beast: 2019 XC90 R-Design in Bright Silver with Xenium, Intellisafe, Family, Winter, Bowers & Wilkins, 22” alloys and P*

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Shocked by then needing to be replaced at that mileage. I got well over 30k on my Tiguan (190 FWD) without a problem. My R Design D4 came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde and I am happy with them over first 5K but won't be if I need to change under 30K! I thought most XC40s came on these from forum.
senwar

Post by senwar »

I've got crossclimates. Not had chance to use in snow yet (even though got them in January) but have been happy with them.

I paid £584 fitted and got a free dashcam (sold it on) and £47 cashback as well
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
gt40

Post by gt40 »

I'm intending to fit Crossclimates asap - been running them on current car for two winters and I think they're the bee's knees.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I had a set of Cross-Climates fitted to the Yeti a few months before I part-exed it and doubt I will again. I didn't try out their cold weather/snow/ice advantages and whilst they are pretty quiet and good tyres they look a little weird and the many sipes pick up loads of small stones and gravel. I'm retired now and don't need to commute if it is icy or snow so will stick with traditional tyres.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

ChrisLF, you’re making my mouth water with all this retirement talk. Being a lift engineer is taking its toll on my knees. Before you can repair a lift, you have walk to the top of the building up many flights of stairs (obviously in a building with only one lift). I can only guess at the number of flights of stairs I’ve climbed but it must be many, many thousands. Ive planned to go in February at 58.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’m in the Contis, about to reach 18k and nowhere near ready for replacement. How did the previous owner get through them so quickly?! With AWD, it should wear much more evenly, or is it a Haldex clutch system?
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Dermottdog wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:43 pm ChrisLF, you’re making my mouth water with all this retirement talk. Being a lift engineer is taking its toll on my knees. Before you can repair a lift, you have walk to the top of the building up many flights of stairs (obviously in a building with only one lift). I can only guess at the number of flights of stairs I’ve climbed but it must be many, many thousands. Ive planned to go in February at 58.
I stayed on until 65 plus another 6 months as going into winter and enjoying my job, though I had dropped down to 3 days a week for the last 5 years. Fortunately I was mainly in the office in the latter years, previously being a building surveyor and project manager. The government, saying that in physical jobs like yours that folks can carry on and on with working later and later is just daft.

Forgot to mention that my car came with Michelin Primacy 4 which I'm happy with.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
bintyandthebeast

Post by bintyandthebeast »

I’m being cheap and gone with the Pirelli tyres. They’re great on my XC90, so expect the same on the XC40.
We do lots of miles, so would hate to have to replace the CrossClimate tyres regularly as I understand as hybrids they’re a “best of both worlds” and wear suffers.
I’m looking out for some 18/19” wheels to have a separate winter set for the XC40. If you hear of any......!
Binty: 2018 XC40 D4 First Edition in Crystal White with P*
The Beast: 2019 XC90 R-Design in Bright Silver with Xenium, Intellisafe, Family, Winter, Bowers & Wilkins, 22” alloys and P*
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Just bought four Michelin Crossclimates with 15% black friday discount, so by the middle of next week I'll have four surplus Michelin Primacy 4 235/55 R18s - any suggestions as to what I do with them?

Maybe there's a good home around the Herts/Essex/Cambs borders that would be happy to take them on?
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19