Just Collected My Car - Have Some Questions

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Naybag

Post by Naybag »

Hi everyone, just collected my car and it's absolutely amazing, despite already test driving one, yours always feels better lol.

I have some questions though and wondered if someone could shed some light for me.

1. I have the 360 Camera / Intellisafe. When reversing / manoeuvring if I was to get too close to a parked car, wall or other stationary object would the car stop me from hitting it. It does it only work for moving objects like pedestrians or vehicles.

2. When reversing and gently pressing the break to control my speed (auto box) when I'm going quite slow the engine seems to judder a lot like it stalling and gets really "torquey" like its trying to overcome me pressing the break. This can be a little disconcerting sometimes when manoeuvring slowly and the car almost feels like its trying to force past my breaking and speed me up!

I have driven auto's before (Nissan Qashqai and Audi TTS Mk3 - DSG) and these didn't operate like that.

Thanks
Nathan
| XC40 Inscription Pro T3 Geartronic | Black Stone | 360 Degree Camera | Intellisafe Pack |

ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

Hi,
for point 1, i think it does not stop if you are moving at slow speed so be careful :)
for point 2, check if you have enabled the auto hold, i had to disable it because of similar behavior like you described.
Keep on enjoying the car :) i am... :)
Naybag

Post by Naybag »

Oh god! Hopefully the wife doesn't scrape it on the gate post leaving the drive then!

I'm certain auto-hold is off but I will check it as I could have missed it. Isn't the button for it just behind the parking break on the centre console?

Thanks
| XC40 Inscription Pro T3 Geartronic | Black Stone | 360 Degree Camera | Intellisafe Pack |
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

I can confirm 100% it does not stop. I managed to reverse into a very low wall not long after getting mine, it seems the parking sensors do not operate immediately after starting the engine and selecting reverse, this was proved when they sent an insurance assessor our and he commented on the fact it was a bad design floor.
T5 First edition Crystal White
emporiky

Post by emporiky »

To me it really sounds like a normal behaviour from a three-cylinder engine - the T3 XC40s that I tested all felt a little bit “jumpy” and with a few more vibrations than a T4 for example, especially in reverse.
If this worries you, perhaps you can go to your dealer and see if you can test another T3 XC40 to compare.
Current car: XC40 T4, Momentum Pro, Fusion Red
Premium Audio, Intelisafe, Park Assist 360, Versatility, Xenium, Winter packs

Previous car: Volvo V40 T3 Inscription
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Re. point 2. It could be the stop/start system.

If you are inching slowly towards something the 'stop' function will activate if you briefly halt the car on the brakes. Then, you lift the brake slightly, the 'start' function kicks in with a surge and you jolt forward (or backwards) further and faster than is ideal when you're only inches from a solid object! If you don't routinely disable stop/start at the beginning of every journey, I would certainly recommend disabling it for tight manoeuvering.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Naybag

Post by Naybag »

Thanks for all the info. My wife has the car currently while I'm at work but I'll try checking the stop start and auto hold systems tonight.

I wouldn't describe it as jumpy more like the engine is speeding up to stop itself from stalling instead of depressing the clutch if that makes sense. It doesn't do it moving forwards at low speed.

Speaking to the guy at the dealer he said it may just be because its a new engine and running a little rich and it may get better after 500-1000 miles or so. If it doesn't and I'm concerned just to pop in and see them and they'll take a look.

Overall I'm very happy with the T3 its very smooth to drive, picks up quite nicely and first couple of around town trips are returning 30.7 mpg.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Thanks for all the info. My wife has the car currently while I'm at work

Well there’s your problem right there. Never let your car out of your sight😉
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I have a T4, and it is smooth like french butter