Data Plan

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi
So, new cars are getting the 100GB of free data for 1 year. Does anyone know or have an estimate how far the data will go? Obviously, the more you use, the quicker it will go but I’m thinking ahead (well ahead, as we don’t get our car till October 😀) and looking at the cost of data sims. £25 seems to be average. As retirement looms, I didn’t really plan to effectively have 2 mobile plans on the go.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

aj05

Post by aj05 »

I use data for live traffic and weather the usage for about five weeks has been so far about 470mb
senwar

Post by senwar »

I've only used about 5gb in 17 months, live traffic, occasional TuneIn (and previously spotify) and a few other online services. Plus downloads where not too big
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Azza_86

Post by Azza_86 »

I don't expect mine to last too long with two girls that are obsessed with watching YouTube!
When I was looking before volvo offered the 100GB sim I liked the look of Vodafone as they offer Spotify premium with their plans. Three have a good deal with unlimited everything for £10 for 6 months then £20 after which is hard to beat.
T3 R-Design Pro auto in black stone.
Intellisafe surround
Xenium pack
Ordered on 24th of May 19 was expected on 16th of September now expected on the 1st of November!
Collected on 25th October. :D
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Excellent, thanks for all your help.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
ChrisO2019

Post by ChrisO2019 »

Sorry, is the 100GB sim being given to every new xc40 customer? I had read else where of people asking mobile provider for additional sim and then tranasfering / sharing their own mobile data. Any comments?
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Lifted directly from Volvo.

VOLVO ADDS ‘BIG DATA’ TO EVERY NEW CAR IT SELLS IN THE UK
Volvo Car UK is boosting its in-car connectivity offering by fitting a data SIM card as standard to all its new models. The feature is being introduced on all Model Year 2020 cars from today, and can be retro-fitted with ease to any that have already been delivered to customers.
The SIM card allows the driver and their passengers to be fully connected at all times, with access to 100GB of data for up to one year, making this the longest and most generous plan of its type currently offered by Vodafone for car makers in the UK. What’s more, this facility is available for the first 12 months for no extra cost on top of the car’s initial purchase price.

Operation of the SIM card, which is supported by Vodafone, is independent of any of the occupants’ own SIM-equipped devices, so there is no impact on their personal or business data usage, or device’s battery charge.
The provision of an integrated SIM card brings multiple benefits in terms of access to entertainment and information apps, Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) for efficient journey planning, and cutting-edge connected safety services. Users also benefit from a stronger signal while on the move, since reception is through their car’s antenna.

The SIM card creates an on-board WiFi hotspot that can be used by up to eight devices. This makes life easier and more enjoyable for everyone on board – especially those customers with children, who can keep themselves entertained on long drives by streaming music or movies, or playing online games. It also gives seamless access to all the native information and entertainment apps that are built into the car’s Sensus touchscreen system, including Spotify, TuneIn, Google Local Search, Yelp, Park and Pay, Record & Send, Glympse, Weather and WikiLocation.
ChrisO2019

Post by ChrisO2019 »

Excellent, thanks Dermott.