Thinking of an XC40, some questions though

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Shipsinker

Post by Shipsinker »

Hi people,

So as the title suggests I’m thinking of an XC40 (D3 Momentum) but have some questions and well this is going to be the best place to ask them- if the owners don’t know who will!

1. How are you finding the rear visibility?
2. Do the rear headrests recline manually ?
3. As far as I can work out the Convenience pack might include an autofold option?
4.what option packs are worth having? Is there any that you got and wished you hadn’t and the other way around as well
5. On the momentum spec are the door mirrors auto folding? Again I have researched this and got contrary results
6. So it comes with a compressor and gunk kit as standard, but I like having a spare wheel. So is there a way of ordering the spare wheel later and installing it instead ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance
D3 Mometum Manual in Glacier Silver.

Added on smartphone integration, rear camera, front parking sensors, winter pack and convenience pack

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Hi

1. For me coming from a Yeti with it's large windows and vertical rear the rear visibility is certainly less, not helped by the large C pillars. That's why I specced the parking sensors and rear camera which help a lot. For someone coming from another SUV with similar rear visibility it wouldn't be as noticeable. I am getting used to it though.

2 & 3. I have the Convenience Pack which does indeed have the powered rear headrests. I guess you must be able to fold down the headrests so that you can put the rear seats down?

4. I have the Winter and Convenience Packs. Depends on what you want really.

5. From the Price List they are listed as standard equipment so I would think so.

6. Don't see why not but the spare is not expensive so why not order it as I did. Some of the cost is probably offset by the compressor etc. so will cost you more if you add it later. Spare costs £150.00

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Shipsinker

Post by Shipsinker »

Cheers Chris

I’m currently in a Honda Hrv and rear visibility in it is good (unlike a Civic in the last 13 years)

I didn’t remember the rear headrests being an issue in my test drive but I subsequently watched an online review and they seemed really noticeable.

I have in mind to add the winter pack. Smartphone and the front sensors but adding the convenience pack could be beyond my finances

According to the dealer the compressor pack is removed at the factory if the spare wheel is ordered. I’d asked that as the compressor pack was included as standard that I would therefore get this along with the spare wheel

Added on smartphone integration, rear camera, front parking sensors, winter pack and convenience pack
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I don't tend to notice the rear headrests too much when looking in the rear view mirror. Would be worse with rear passengers anyway. When reversing they tend be in line with the C pillars so don't impact the view by themselves too much. For me it's the height (lack of) of the rear screen in combination with the pillars that cause the restricted view - the pillars cause a pretty big blind spot. I tend to use the side mirrors when reversing along with the camera to check nothing is in the way, particularly below the high window line.

I would have thought that the price of the spare wheel takes into account the ommision of the compressor etc. with factory orders.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

On my first test drive I mentioned my concern of reversing especially with tinted rear windows (my current car is a nightmare for this especially at night) plus the lack of vision so they got me to finish the test drive by reverse parking between 2 cars and up a dipped (sort of) curb from a busy road. With the rear camera and 360 camera it made it so much easier. If it didn't have the cameras I would not have attempted it.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Just been out and dropped the head rests, they go down with quite a thump! It certainly gives a wider and clearer view in the rear view mirror when driving, not much help with reversing though.

I wouldn't consider this car without the rear or 360 camera.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

When we test drove our up and coming car, the whole reversing thing didn’t get a 2nd thought. I drive a Renault Maxi Van all week and make do with a door mirror on either side and rear parking sensors without any issues. Obviously, if you don’t drive or haven’t driven a small van, it will be a new experience but you will get used to it.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Shipsinker

Post by Shipsinker »

Cheers everybody, much appreciated.

I just can’t stretch to the cameras alas

stu22

Post by stu22 »

My last few cars have all had reversing cameras however my wife's XC40 doesn't, just front and rear sensors. Find the shape lends itself to pretty easy parking, my wife has no problem with it either.
Wouldn't get hung up on a camera or cameras.......
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Just checking through and it appears to be £375 for just the rear view cameras, £700 for the 360 cameras.

Have you managed to get the price reduced of the car? it's worth pushing the dealership with Carwow/Carfile offers (I managed to get 6% off the list price) - I am sure you have done this already but worth asking them to add the camera to seal the deal :-)
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.