T3 RDesign or T5 Momentum?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Hey there,

I've been hanging around before committing with a XC40 and have finally decided it was a go! :)

My choices (budget) are between either a

1) beautiful T3 RDesign Red fusion, manual transmission as I love the "old analog feel" of changing gears or

2) an all black (my original choice of colour) Momentum Plus T5 (hybrid, so automatic transmission only :( )

These choices where put together with the help of the dealer: the Diesels are out cuz according to him my daily comute would trash the D3 engine ( ~12 miles 100% around town in rush hours between the kid's schools and work).

Equipment is going to be the
- Xenium (AC and Panoramic glass roof),
- Park aid with 360º and
- Versatility (keyless, cargo net, folding rear seats, etc)
- 5 year maintenance contract

Any feedback will be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Naybag

Post by Naybag »

I had this exact same decision to make with mine. I decided to go with the T3 engine which meant I could afford the inscription pro with a couple of extras on their.

That being said, fuel economy was an important one for me too. I don't do enough miles to warrant the diesel engines, so like yourself I excluded them.

I've seen people on here reporting anything from 28-45 MPG for the T3 and 25-35 for the T5 (Not sure on hybrid). So I sacrificed the additional power for more tech and better fuel economy really.

Looking at your two choices, it looks to me like you're already leaning towards option 1.
| XC40 Inscription Pro T3 Geartronic | Black Stone | 360 Degree Camera | Intellisafe Pack |
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Hi there,
You mentioned budget restrictions, but the list price for a T5 hybrid is over 50% more than a T3.
Secondly, isn't T5 is available for r-design and inscription trim only, I don't have the spec sheet in front of me, better check and confirm.
Last but not least, you need one of the intellisafe package before you can spec the 360 camera.
BTW where is your country? These are UK configurations.
Have fun.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I am completely happy with my T3 manual momentum pro. Great fuel economy 45+ mpg, lovely comfortable smooth ride, great tech, just a joy to drive.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

First, thanks for all the comments.

I live in Portugal, the difference between a manual T3 RDesign and a Momentum plus T5 Twin Engine is around 2k. And those 2k I can “easily” get from the hybrid Powertrain.. given my usage..

The 360 camera needs the blind spot feature that I happily want to have. Doesn’t need the whole intellisafe package.

Everything else is the same, specs wise down to the rims.

I want a “balanced” car but like other users, I’m worrying about the consumption. According to my dealer I would get high 20s low 30s with the t3..
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
emporiky

Post by emporiky »

How about something in the middle - a T4 Momentum + leather interior?
I was wondering for quite a while between a T3 and a T4 and in my view a T3 with a three cylinder engine is quite a compromise, so be sure to test drive one and see if you are comfortable with it. I think a T4 is the perfect balance between power and fuel economy.
Also give the manual a try - Volvos are famous for their notchy manual gearboxes, which are fine for many, but not for all.
Current car: XC40 T4, Momentum Pro, Fusion Red
Premium Audio, Intelisafe, Park Assist 360, Versatility, Xenium, Winter packs

Previous car: Volvo V40 T3 Inscription
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

The t4 only exists in automatic transmission. It’s 200€ cheaper than the PHEV.

For that difference, and given my usage, I believe I’d be better off with the PHEV.

I’m wrong?

Edit: unless for resale value.. I’ll be holding the car for 6+ years.. it’s crystal ball guessing but maybe cuz of battery degradation the t3 (or t4) could hold value better
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

In your case in Portugal it is T5 hybrid.

From the UK price list, the difference between a T3 manual and a T5 hybrid is over €10k :( :o :evil:. Furthermore the road tax is also higher for the T5 hybrid. The government name that as luxury car tax because of its high list price :cry:
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Goldfish wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:26 pm In your case in Portugal it is T5 hybrid.

From the UK price list, the difference between a T3 manual and a T5 hybrid is over €10k :( :o :evil:. Furthermore the road tax is also higher for the T5 hybrid. The government name that as luxury car tax because of its high list price :cry:
Well, hence my topic.. rdesign t3 vs momentum plus t5 PHEV.

The entry price is around 2k difference but doing ~16 miles a day I think I can easily break even with the PHEV.. (around 10-15k miles)

Exact same specs though..

I’m between the beatiful black/red fusion t3 rdesign vs the all black t5

It’s heart (rdesign) vs head (PHEV) war! :)
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

lfpcorreia wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:30 pm
I’m between the beatiful black/red fusion t3 rdesign vs the all black t5

It’s heart (rdesign) vs head (PHEV) war! :)
You can also consider a momentum with a white colour roof. My initial choice was Amazon blue with the white roof and 19" wheels. That colour was discontinued then wife and I agreed on a bright silver R-design but it was also discontinued. Eventually we got a glacier silver r-design which we didn't see a sample before but that turned out an excellent colour choice.