T3 RDesign or T5 Momentum?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
AyrshireXC90

Post by AyrshireXC90 »

My T3 manual is getting an indicated average mpg of low to mid 40s, with a calculated brim-to-brim figure only up to 2 - 3mpg less than that. The indicated figure on a recent trip from Scotland to Holland is 44.3mpg, and that was with a roof box and a fully loaded car. Quite impressive for a heavy car and small petrol engine.
The gear change is fine in the car, and is not at all notchy (fortunately).

michael123

Post by michael123 »

I wish I could afford T5, especially hybrid.
In my country (Israel) we have 120% taxation on cars, so bloody T4 Momentum Plus costs with few security extras 70,000 GBP
Hopefully getting one this week
emporiky

Post by emporiky »

lfpcorreia wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:05 pm The t4 only exists in automatic transmission. It’s 200€ cheaper than the PHEV.

For that difference, and given my usage, I believe I’d be better off with the PHEV.

I’m wrong?

Edit: unless for resale value.. I’ll be holding the car for 6+ years.. it’s crystal ball guessing but maybe cuz of battery degradation the t3 (or t4) could hold value better
Ok I now understand the dilemma :mrgreen: I would personally go for the hybrid - its the top of the range engine that is unaffordable in most countries and I think would have great resale value. I am not sure that battery degradation is such a problem.

However, you should get what you want the most, and it seems you prefer the r-design T3, which also happens to have the manual you want. Best way is to test drive one and see for yourself. If the engine is fine for you, then this is the obvious choice.
Current car: XC40 T4, Momentum Pro, Fusion Red
Premium Audio, Intelisafe, Park Assist 360, Versatility, Xenium, Winter packs

Previous car: Volvo V40 T3 Inscription
Rigel

Post by Rigel »

I have a 2019 T3 Inscription Pro. Love the car and now used to the manual box. All of my use this month has been short trips around town where I am getting 35.4. mpg. Mixed use last month 38.5.mpg Total for four months 38.7. mpg.

I hope this helps
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Rigel wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:22 am I have a 2019 T3 Inscription Pro. Love the car and now used to the manual box. All of my use this month has been short trips around town where I am getting 35.4. mpg. Mixed use last month 38.5.mpg Total for four months 38.7. mpg.

I hope this helps
Yes, it helps a lot.

Thank you
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Thanks to all for the feedback!

I ended choosing the t5 twin engine.

I’ll add more stats as soon as I receive it in mid February.

Cheers!
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I am sure this is the wise choice. It begs the question of why there is so little price difference in Portugal but an enormous one in UK. Does the government subsidise hybrids?
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Well, we pay half the tax on final price and then a proportional amount to emissions on an yearly bases. That’s it..

What made me choose one over another was the TCO over several years.

I do 95% town driving (around 15 miles daily, tops). Some of it is standstills.

So, diesel was out due to dealer recommendation.

T3 was the best choice but, for the price of a beautiful red fusion rdesign t3, I can “score” a T5 Twin Engine momentum plus and break even after 7* years in worst case scenario. Will be around the 5th but nonetheless..

* if I drive softly (9,5l/100 for 16 km every day of the week, which I don’t! I drive more on the weekends and not that soft.. ;) )
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

And the difference is around 3.6k pounds on the buying.

Running costs will be much lower
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Be interesting to see if the running costs are actually much lower.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.