Waiting for September number plate

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Naybag

Post by Naybag »

Morning everyone. Fingers crossed my car will be ready as planned on the 23rd of this month for me to collect.

I've been advised by family members I should definitely wait for the new plate in September as my car would be newer but upon speaking to the dealer they said it won't add any value as it will be classed as bought in 2019 regardless of being on the 19 or 69 plate. They said it will just look like a newer car but won't have any real affect on its value.

Waiting an extra week or not at this point is irrelevant, I am simply more interested in knowing if what the dealer is saying is true or they're just looking for an august registration cause its a little bit quiet?

Wouldn't like to think my car could have had a bit more residual value (bought on pcp) at the end of the term for just waiting another week to collect it!

Nay
| XC40 Inscription Pro T3 Geartronic | Black Stone | 360 Degree Camera | Intellisafe Pack |

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I think it may have been true about a higher value years ago when it changed on the 1st August to a new letter, but now changes are twice a year with numbers that the majority of the public do not recognise, I think only the year is relevant.
ejd

Post by ejd »

Of course, what "makes no difference" when you're buying may be described as making a big difference when selling! On valuation sites such as Parkers, https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-valuation, the value for a 16/06 plate is several hundred pounds less than for a 16/66 plate for exactly the same car (for a typical Volvo). Similarly for a 2018/18 and 2018/68 XC40.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Test the dealer by asking what they're prepared to throw in if you take the car in August.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
Naybag

Post by Naybag »

ejd wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:03 am Of course, what "makes no difference" when you're buying may be described as making a big difference when selling! On valuation sites such as Parkers, the value for a 16/06 plate is several hundred pounds less than for a 16/66 plate for exactly the same car (for a typical Volvo). Similarly for a 2018/18 and 2018/68 XC40.
I assumed this would be the case but as my car is on PCP I'll just be getting a new one in three years. So although it might make a difference when selling privately would it make a difference on the residual value when I come back to trade my car in against a new one in 3 years time. Or should I say will the dealer give me that extra value, or will they keep it for themselves when they come to resell it.
gt40 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 am Test the dealer by asking what they're prepared to throw in if you take the car in August.
I didn't even think of this, I suppose I'm not that savvy but I'll definitely be asking this question. As mentioned above in reply to ejd I may not see the extra value of the car when trading it in against another PCP deal in a few years time so it may be worth while asking for the estimated several hundred pounds difference in freebies. Perhaps GAP insurance or some dealer installed extras like android auto or wireless phone charging!

Appreciate the replies everyone.
| XC40 Inscription Pro T3 Geartronic | Black Stone | 360 Degree Camera | Intellisafe Pack |
Naybag

Post by Naybag »

ACertainAge wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:10 am I think it may have been true about a higher value years ago when it changed on the 1st August to a new letter, but now changes are twice a year with numbers that the majority of the public do not recognise, I think only the year is relevant.
I think this is what the dealer tried to explain to me. Saying that if it meant waiting for the March plate then you should definitely wait as it would be a near year plate but mid year doesn't really change anything.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Think its more important these days that you have the latest MY model rather than reg plate. I'd hazard a guess that a MY2020 car registered in 2019 will retain a better value than a MY2019 car registered in the same year.
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

I would definitely wait until September as the value in 3 years time will be higher.
CAP values cars by plate and year so it will make a difference.
If I was going to agree to an August delivery I would be wanting a much better deal.
senwar

Post by senwar »

I would always wait personally. The reg number makes a difference to many people.

May be old school but I discounted 2019 68 plates when looking for a pre-reg Mini for the mrs recently (only looking at 19 plate ones)
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

One thing is certain: It won't be worth less in future due to being on a newer plate. Unless it's causing you hassle or costing you money to wait I'd definitely go for the new plate. No downside risk, and possible upside of a few hundred quid 3 years from now.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.