Paint Protection. I’ve got it but is it worth it?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey everyone

I’ve been looking at my order form. We have 2 additions.
First, we’ve added an extra year on the warranty (we plan to keep it) and second, in a moment of madness (or weakness) I ticked the Gardx option. This covers the paintwork and interior. Apparently, I’ll never have to polish the car again. This is a bit of a b*****r for me. I plan to retire next February. So I’ll spread loads of time NOT polishing the car!!
Has anyone else here had Gardx?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

Big waste of money - Read the reviews. Money would be much better spent have a professional detailer seal the car.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Ok. Thanks for that. You could have let me down a bit more gently but I did ask the question 😜
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Funnily enough this is the first new car where they didn't try to sell me paint/interior protection, dent protection or GAP insurance. Given my knowledge nowadays on paint protection I would have refused it anyway.

So I bought a new tin of wax in preparation for a spot of detailing and found that on the first wash the water was beading nicely so something had already been applied. I think I read somewhere that the factory apply something and that you aren't supposed to apply anything for 12 months. Don't know If that is true or not? So I shall wait until the beading reduces before I give it a good wax and polish.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Ok, thanks, I hear what everyone is saying. I’ve got what I’ve got I suppose. Perhaps I’ll do some more research. The stuff is applied at the dealers so it’s not too late to ask if I could change it.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I applied nano ceramic coating to my other car, the mini cooper, and since just received compliments.

Next week will apply for my new XC40

It is really easy now to maintain the surface, I just wipe the dust once a week and apply vax protector
K1t

Post by K1t »

bdalameda wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:48 pm Big waste of money - Read the reviews. Money would be much better spent have a professional detailer seal the car.
If your car is going to spend a major proportion of its time parked in the open in all weathers, as is mine on the drive, its absolutely essential to get the car sealed/treated, preferably professionally as mentioned on previous post/s. My detailer was quite happy to say that 'polymer' type treatments, as tended to be applied at dealers, are, when 'correctly' applied by trained personnel, a good (better than nothing) coating which could last up to 2 years, when correctly maintained. What I can`t get my head around is the extortionate prices they charge, £350.00 and upwards! Next Wednesday I`m having my White XC40 Ceramic sealed/coated, wheels sealed and coated and the interior seats/trim and carpets treated, all in for....£225.00 and I am reliably told the protection WILL last 3-4 years, with only a basic and infrequent wash, foam, rinse and dry.......worth every penny in my book! ;)
XC40 T3 R-Design (as it comes, no frills) FWD, Manual, my2020, 163bhp, Crystal White, Tempa Spare Wheel Kit, Folding boot floor, Sunglasses Holder. Paintwork/Trim sealed with Zirconite Quartz Nano Coating, Park assist camera kit (self fit)
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

That sounds good. I sent the dealer an email today to try and cancel the application. I offered to swop for wheel/tyre insurance instead. They haven’t come back yet. You’re right though, it depends who applies it and how it’s applied. It could the apprentice for all I know.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Dermottdog wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:04 pm That sounds good. I sent the dealer an email today to try and cancel the application. I offered to swop for wheel/tyre insurance instead. They haven’t come back yet. You’re right though, it depends who applies it and how it’s applied. It could the apprentice for all I know.
Personally I would not take the wheel insurance either - way to many conditions on the one my dealer offered.

If you are still waiting for your car you can cancel this dealership add on without taking anything else on.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

As far as I understood, only the paint protection may last for couple of years if properly maintained (e.g. no machine wash), wheels will last for couple of months max due to heat, and the glass surface maybe few months more.