Volvo XC40 hybrid

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ChrisGR

Post by ChrisGR »

Hi there
I have placed an order for an R DESIGN T3 geartronic 2020 model. I have noticed that the horsepower has been increased from 154 to 163.

However, i am surprised to read that the hybrid version will use the same 1,5 l petrol motor tuned to 180 horsepower.
Has anyone details how this was achieved and if such an aftermarket tuning would be released ?

I am also curious to read reviews about the T3 geartronic if anyone has picked up already

senwar

Post by senwar »

It will be due to the battery. The hp is increased by electric motor in the hybrids.

I had a Golf GTE that was 204bhp which I think included about 100bhp from the electric motor.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
ChrisGR

Post by ChrisGR »

That’s not the case. Battery puts an extra 80 hp making it 250 in total
senwar

Post by senwar »

oh right, sorry wasn't aware of that
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

ChrisGR wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 pm Hi there
I have placed an order for an R DESIGN T3 geartronic 2020 model. I have noticed that the horsepower has been increased from 154 to 163.

However, i am surprised to read that the hybrid version will use the same 1,5 l petrol motor tuned to 180 horsepower.
Has anyone details how this was achieved and if such an aftermarket tuning would be released ?

I am also curious to read reviews about the T3 geartronic if anyone has picked up already
The power increase on the petrol engine is most likely to be due to a slight increase in turbo boost and suitably re-programmed engine management software. If any company does offer an aftermarket kit it would probably invalidate much of the Volvo warranty.

I notice that the T5 Twin Engine is front wheel drive only. Even by modern standards 250 BHP is quite a lot for FWD!
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Boxybutgood wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:09 pm I notice that the T5 Twin Engine is front wheel drive only. Even by modern standards 250 BHP is quite a lot for FWD!
I thought it was electric rear wheel but you are right its all FWD which is a surprise.

Found this video -
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Boxybutgood wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:09 pm
ChrisGR wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 pm Hi there

The power increase on the petrol engine is most likely to be due to a slight increase in turbo boost and suitably re-programmed engine management software. If any company does offer an aftermarket kit it would probably invalidate much of the Volvo warranty.

I notice that the T5 Twin Engine is front wheel drive only. Even by modern standards 250 BHP is quite a lot for FWD!
And I'm guessing that if this increases turbo lag by using a bigger turbo then this will be compensated for by the electric motor. If petrol only then the lag would have to be made acceptable by using a twin turbo or spun up electrically.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
GuidoBrunetti

Post by GuidoBrunetti »

Does anyone have any experience of driving the T5 hybrid? We have just bought a new Toyota Corolla 1.8 hybrid as our second car and the transition from battery to engine is so smooth the only way you can tell is via the rev counter and the little display on the screen; it's also very economical giving a true 69.7mpg in local driving. We'd be very interested in the XC40 hybrid to replace our four year old diesel XC60 but I have read that the (differently engineered) plug-in hybrid Volvos are somewhat clunky in operation.
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

The propulsion in the t5 TE will be something entirely new.

It’s based on a dual clutch gearbox where the combustion engine is attached to the 1,3,5 gears and the electric to the 2,4,6 gears.

I’ve ordered one.. can tell you more about it mid February;)
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That seems a weird set up as the petrol engine and electric motor produce different amounts of power and have different delivery characteristics and electric motors don't usually need gearboxes.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.