Delivered a week early with wrong wheels!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ShiftySixSpeed

Post by ShiftySixSpeed »

So... Got a call today to say my car is now with the dealership however it has been delivered with the 19" wheels instead of the 18's... Normally this wouldn't be a problem but as its motability, they're now saying that the upfront cost has increased by £525...

Don't worry, I've explained to them that I'm not paying them for their own f**k up! :oops:
I'm guessing I have every right to accept the vehicle as it is at no expense to myself?
I did have £4k worth of options fitted and I'm due to collect on Tuesday next week which is important because I have the desperate requirement for a higher vehicle and I'm not waiting anonymously 4 months for a replacement just because they screwed up at the factory.

Any advice or legal expertise is appreciated :)

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Wonder if it was them or the factory that made the mistake? Whatever, it's not your mistake. If they have an unused car with the right wheels they could change them over.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
ShiftySixSpeed

Post by ShiftySixSpeed »

ChrisLF wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:20 pm Wonder if it was them or the factory that made the mistake? Whatever, it's not your mistake. If they have an unused car with the right wheels they could change them over.
Would that not cause a difference in the speedo and mileage recording?
johnd

Post by johnd »

ShiftySixSpeed wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:21 pm Would that not cause a difference in the speedo and mileage recording?
No, because the rolling diameter of the tyre won't change - smaller rims are fitted with larger profile tyres and vice versa.

The more exact answer is that there might be very small changes (eg 1-2%) because low and high profile tyres don't behave exactly the same, but that's not necessarily any different to fitting different brands of tyre or comparing a new tyre with a largely worn one. But it's all allowed for within the specified tolerance of rin/tyre combinations.
ShiftySixSpeed

Post by ShiftySixSpeed »

johnd wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:27 pm
ShiftySixSpeed wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:21 pm Would that not cause a difference in the speedo and mileage recording?
No, because the rolling diameter of the tyre won't change - smaller rims are fitted with larger profile tyres and vice versa.

The more exact answer is that there might be very small changes (eg 1-2%) because low and high profile tyres don't behave exactly the same, but that's not necessarily any different to fitting different brands of tyre or comparing a new tyre with a largely worn one. But it's all allowed for within the specified tolerance of rin/tyre combinations.
Ahh ok, I see where you're coming from. Still, If i can have the 19's i will do. They look lovely 😁
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

If your original signed order shows 18" wheels but they built it with 19" then I'm sure they will sort it one way or another at no cost to you. Either free wheel upgrade or a wheel swap to the correct ones.
Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

Usually when a car is delivered with the wrong specification, things are left out and you can reject the car as it's not "as described". I did this with a Golf that didn't have the rear side airbags I'd ordered, and I got my deposit back.

I'm not sure how it works when the car is "better" than you ordered. They have still breached the contract and technically you still have the right to reject. I can understand them wanting you to pay, as they don't want to lose out.

You could try saying that as the car isn't as described, you wish to reject it as you wanted the 18" wheels. Of course, you don't want to really, but you could use this as leverage to try and come up with a compromise (e.g. paying 50% of the difference).

It may be worth seeing where the mistake arose. Was it the dealer, or was it Volvo? If it's a factory issue, then Volvo should get involved, and perhaps compensate the dealer for the mistake.
ShiftySixSpeed

Post by ShiftySixSpeed »

Thanks for the replies guys!
Yeah, I'm speaking with the dealership principal tomorrow and one way or another, it will get dealt with.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

They are legally contracted to supply you with the specification you ordered. You have every right to insist they put the correct wheels on. If it is easier or cheaper for them to leave the 19" wheels on then you may choose to accept that, but personally, I wouldn't pay a penny more.

It's not as though it's an intrinsic part of the car. Wheels are designed to come on and off easily...
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
ShiftySixSpeed

Post by ShiftySixSpeed »

Boxybutgood wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:18 pm They are legally contracted to supply you with the specification you ordered. You have every right to insist they put the correct wheels on. If it is easier or cheaper for them to leave the 19" wheels on then you may choose to accept that, but personally, I wouldn't pay a penny more.

It's not as though it's an intrinsic part of the car. Wheels are designed to come on and off easily...
That's true enough, however when I agreed to have a faster delivery with the 18" wheels, I had signed the previous order of 19" and not signed a new one as I was told by the sales manager that he would cancel and reinstate the original order of 18's however I didn't sign a new order agreement, so it's my word against theirs.
They have agreed to do the 19" wheels at cost, therefore I've agreed to go ahead and all being well, collection will be next week.
I'm not massively sorry because they do look better, I'm just a bit annoyed because it's short notice and I hadn't budgeted for that. Just looking forward to picking it up now!