Is the XC40 a noisy car?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

If your in the UK, Volvo now offer up to 4 day test drives so you could really get used to the XC40.

Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

johnd wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:58 pm Do you think it's the wheel size or the extra tyre width on larger tyres? 20" = 245, 18"/19" = 235. That's <5% difference. But maybe the tyre profile also has some influence, ie 45 profile on 20" but 50 profile on 19" and 55 on 18's.
Not sure, to be honest. There seems to be reasonable amount of sidewall between alloy and road, given the size of the wheel. It will be interesting to see what difference smaller wheels make when I put winter tyres on later this year. I'll probably go with 18"s.
I'm wondering how true this on the latest generation of comparable Germans? I'd have said that the XC40 is probably the equal of the new Q3 in terms of interior quality. It's certainly quite different in design and have to say that I prefer the Q3 dash design. But in terms of materials quality they're probably about on a par. It's like there's a gap opening up between the smaller/cheaper Audi's like Q2 (especially) and Q3 and those higher up the Audi range. It's almost as if Audi have decided that if you're not paying eg £50K for a car then they've got to economise on materials.
I'm comparing with my previous car, a Mercedes C Class coupe (2017), which had soft touch plastics almost everywhere. It cost roughly the same as the XC40, factoring in the discount I got on both cars, and they both have/had similar sorts of gadgets. The Mercedes had air suspension, so was very smooth, but it was horribly impractical, too big and uncomfortable on longer journeys. The XC40 has miles more character, better looks, a more thoughtful design and is a far easier to live with on a day-to-day basis. It also makes me smile, whereas the Mercedes left me feeling a little cold. Engine refinement is about the same, but the XC40's gearbox isn't as smooth in lower gears and has a noticeable lag moving off from a standstill. The gearbox is the only part of the car I don't like.

There are few manufacturers who I think can match Audi for dashboard design, but their exteriors leave a lot to be desired, in my view.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Septercius wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 pm There are few manufacturers who I think can match Audi for dashboard design, but their exteriors leave a lot to be desired, in my view.
Thanks for the additional comments and yes I agree - Audi styling seems to have become very stereotyped and unappealing. Proportions on the Q2 seem rather better, but that's all.) Q3 styling is the biggest drawback in my book along with the fact that the (current) top engine - the 45 TFSI 230bhp one - just doesn't feel that quick - it's quickish, but not 230bhp/350Nm in a 1600kg car quick.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

I live in California

I have an R-Design T-5 with the 4c active suspension, sunroof and the 20" upgrade wheels. I was concerned about buying the car for my wife with the 20" wheels/tire combination feeling that the ride would be noisy and harsh. I have found that the car is pleasantly quiet with only some tire road noise when driving on the horrible grooved concrete roads in some areas here in California. Overall plenty quiet - some acceleration noise from the 4cyl. engine but quiet when at steady throttle. I would not let the sound level be a concern for you.

Dan
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

. noise in the XC40 is not that well suppressed
My D4 can be superbly silent on good roads but anything like concrete motorways much noisier than my previous Q3. The engine is gruff when accelerating to say the least but wind noise is absent. On balance nothing beats driving my 7 yr old petrol Golf.

It all comes down to finding a varied test drive route and starting with a cold engine. There is too much to take in and having the car for an afternoon is the ideal.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
senwar

Post by senwar »

I find the diesel engine very noisy to be honest. A lot more so than previous diesels I've had.

Tyre noise is fine - I have 19" crossclimates on
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

My T3 is so quiet I often forget to change up and find I am doing 60mph in second gear when I notice the gear indicator.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Deleted User 1984

Post by Deleted User 1984 »

I drive T3 Automatic gearbox and the only noise I complain is because of tires (Conti Eco-Contact 6), which I seriously consider to change with Michelin Primacy 4.
GerVO

Post by GerVO »

T5 awd R Design with 18“ wheels. The tire noise is the one thing which stands out..especially on roads with a sort of “open tarmac” it can be quite noisy...for the rest no comments.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

As I’ve already commented, my test drive was silent. That said, as I’ve ordered an R Design Pro T5, I’m not expecting silence. It has big wheels and a powerful engine and is by definition, the ‘sportier’ model (or that’s how the brochure sees it). When it arrives, I hope I’m not disappointed. But I do feel that some are expecting too much perhaps. Tyres do different things on different surfaces and react differently under different loads and speeds.
I do however respect everything that people have said and as the car is still very new, things are being discovered all the time. As far as the XC40 is concerned, every days a school day. ;)
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.