Android Auto perverse question

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

Anyone got an answer to this conundrum?

I like to use the navigation on Sensus (I like the large screen).
All my family converse exclusively on WhatsApp.
I don’t spend my life on WhatsApp but if there is an emergency it’ll come through on that, so I like the notifications to show.
If I open Android Auto and then go to Sensus map display I don’t get any notification sounds when I receive a message.
I don’t even see the messages if I go from the Sensus map screen to AA Home screen.
I assume it’s because AA is in the background?

Is this correct, or have I set my Samsung S9 notifications incorrectly?

If I don’t connect the phone to AA all I get is multiple “bings” that could be anything and there’s no way I’m going near it whilst driving.

Not the end of the world but I wondered if there was a way to see WhatsApp messages whilst using the Sensus navigation?
Anyone have any luck using voice commands to hear the messages?

mesaka

Post by mesaka »

I'm struggling with the same issue. I have decided to have android auto on the screen permanently and then use the sensus navigation only in the instrument cluster - its not ideal. I'd really like Whatsapp to work as you describe. I think its technically possible as I received an old fashioned SMS the other day and that was available on the sensus screen.
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

I emailed Volvo just to see if they could shed any light on this.
The response was a little more honest than I expected (thought they’d give it some waffle about ongoing development and maybe including it in a future update) but at least I now know they’ll be doing diddly squat in the way of development!

“Thank you for your email below.

Sensus Navigation screen overrides any notifications that come through the Android Auto screen.

Unfortunately there isn’t a way for us to change the settings as WhatsApp in only part of Auto Android and is not integrated with the Sensus system.”
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

I thought I’d try this again after upgrading to the new version of AA.
I can now navigate using Sensus and WhatsApp notifications appear in AA.
I cant remember if I actually hear anything but I do get a red dot on the notification icon.
I don’t think it’s actually meant to work this way as the AA app seems to be unstable.
For example if I use the Sensus for nav and use AA for Spotify , the music can stop after a while and Google Music appears as the default music app. I’ve also managed to have the dab radio playing with AA thinking it’s also playing Spotify (but getting no sound).