XC40 Revision

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Surprised to hear what you say about the Macan being big and heavy as they don't look particularly so. That's the reason I like the look of them compared to other prestige SUVs. Obviously good design.

Was looking out of a hotel window in France yesterday and an Alfa SUV pulled up. Blimey, that is a lot bigger than I was expecting, F Pace size I guess.

As you have found out, all the more sporty SUVs are pretty big really which goes against what you want in something lighter and more agile. As you say an SQ3 would probably fit the bill. Is that the same as an R SQ3 or are you waiting for something that slots in between that and the Q3?

Funnily enough I think the XC40 looks wide. Well it certainly does compared to my current Skoda Yeti!

It will be interesting to see how the Cupra Ateca sells as some folks think it has been designed for a market that isn't there really and is expensive for a SEAT.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

johnd

Post by johnd »

Well, Macan is not as big and heavy as eg a Cayenne (or Touareg) but as I say it's still nearly 2 tons and 2m wide. And Macan does carry its size and weight pretty well (probably better than any other comparable SUV) but physics only allows that up to a point.

On SQ3/RSQ3: The plain S tend to be a higher performance version than the standard models while RS (the R might stand for Rally or Rallye) is just a more extreme or hardcore version. So the RSQ3, which seems to be definitely coming in a few months, is likely to be around 440bhp or thereabouts (5 (sic) cyl engine). It's got performance by the bucketload but also tends to be pretty hard-sprung. Probably fine on good German roads but less so on British country lanes.

While I'd definitely enjoy the performance of an RSQ3, its ride and exclusivity (= thief-magnet) is probably not for me. So if an SQ3 version with say the standard VW EA888 engine at 300bhp (Golf R, SQ2, T Roc R, Cupra Ateca) came along then that would probably be my sweet spot - enough performance to enjoy but not too extreme or costly. Unfortunately, while there are rumours, there is no confirmation at all right now and so it may never happen. So, while I might hope that it's announced eg tomorrow, I can't wait forever.

Personally, I don't think that Seat (especially Seat UK) have judged the Cupra Ateca right. The engineering is fine but the cabin just doesn't feel special at all and the infotainment is a smaller/older version. In the UK you can't even get electric seats, though they are available in Europe. If I was Seat I'd have added eg £3-4K to the budget for better ICE and it surely can't cost too much to add some leather to the dash - that makes a big difference to the feel of the cabin (though I know it's not Volvo's style).

As I say, the bottom line is that for a compact premium SUV like an XC40 and with some decent performance, there really isn't much choice. Some compromise is seemingly inevitable. The conundrum is exactly which way to compromise and then be satisfied with the result!
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

Are you coming to this having not properly test driven an XC40 T5 with paddle shift? If you haven't, its the only way you are going to get an answer - asking others is too subjective.

Try to get a test drive of a PS version of the engine of your choice, with paddle shift, and see what you think. I'd been test driving polestarred XC60s to replace my XC40 FE D4 (fallen out of love with big time), so dealers do have them as demonstrators.

Subjective opinion on paddleshift - I've never had an auto or paddle shift on a car before this, and personally I just don't see the point of the paddle shift (at least in this car). It doesn't seem to add anything, but it could be that I've just not persisted with it. Dynamic mode is OK, polestar (for the 2 weeks I had it) made a bit of a difference, but I've been disappointed by my first automatic - finding it very laggy and inconsistent in gear changes.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Most, if not all of the independent reviews indicate that the XC40 is not at the sporty end of the SUV spectrum. Volvo themselves market it on the basis of luxury, practicality, safety and refinement. Part of my purchase decision was based on it having the most ground clearance in its class which is important to me, but as this is likely to translate to a high centre of gravity it is not conducive to being hustled along country lanes.

Based purely on reading reviews, the best handling smaller SUVs in price order appear to be Macan, X2, Ateca. Personally, if I wanted to combine practicality with good handling/performance and didn't actually need high ground clearance I'd be looking at compact performance 4wd estates with Mercedes, BMW, Audi and others all having something interesting to consider.

As James Blonde says, only a test drive will enable you to establish if your personal priorities and requirements are satisfied. Enjoy the process!
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I was thinking of a sporty hatch or estate as well e.g. RS3 or 4 but obviously you're well informed and have your reasons for sticking with a SUV.

As you know the double-clutch "autos" are the best for more spirited driving and I loved my DSG in a previous VW. I was happy coming to a torque-converter though as I've recently retired and most of my driving now is more leisurely. I always have the TT for when I want a blast.

From above it seems that you already have the best handling SUV and whilst the Ateca is lighter and more nimble it is a big no, no on quality, especially coming from a Porsche. Basically I think you're stuffed!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
johnd

Post by johnd »

ChrisLF wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:49 pm IBasically I think you're stuffed!
:lol: :lol: :lol: But I don't disagree! So compromise is inevitable. The dilemma is which way to compromise? But yes, I can only answer that question myself I know.

Today's step in the thought process is that the XC40 doesn't seem to score that brilliantly in the refinement stakes relative to eg a (new = 2020) Evoque. Yes I know that old Evoques had a dubious reliability record, but also that recent examples do appear to be much better. It's a gamble I might be prepared to take with my eyes open (otherwise I might be looking at a Lexus, not that they make anything currently that appeals in this sector).
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Range Rover do refinement extremely well (our other car is a 'full fat' RR TDV6). I would expect the new Evoque to be better than the XC40 in this regard if for no other reason than I believe it is circa 200Kg heavier. Brand reliability is worse than Volvo which itself isn't that great. I was tempted by an Evoque but after the way JLR treated me when I queried the DPF/oil dilution issues on my car I couldn't bring myself to write another large cheque in their favour... Their petrol engines of course don't have this problem.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Harrydog

Post by Harrydog »

Audi S q2? Plush Cupra and close to300 bhp.( I thought the Cupra Sq2 and Macan were the same size)
johnd

Post by johnd »

Harrydog wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:54 pm Audi S q2? Plush Cupra and close to300 bhp.
In theory yes, in practice no. SQ2 (and its T-Roc R stablemate, which is imminent) have the 300bhp engine, but aren't even really semi-premium cars when you start looking at them in detail. No electric seats IIRC just as one example, and the fixture & fittings are a class below the XC40. The dash design of the Q2/SQ2 is also starting to age significantly now
( I thought the Cupra Sq2 and Macan were the same size)
Not really. Macan is XC60-sized; Cupra is closest to XC40 in size but less well appointed. SQ2 is smaller still (4.2m long) - upfront is OK but back seats & luggage space starting to get quite squeezed - wouldn't really want to fit 4 larger adults in for a longer journey.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Unbelievable not having electric seats option!

I looked at the Audi models and like you found the Q2 too small in the back and not overly keen on the styling. Would have to have been a Q3 or Q5.

Having had a string of VWG cars it will be interesting going to a completely different manufacturer. Tomorrow's the day!