XC40 Revision

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
johnd

Post by johnd »

Can anyone say when the next XC40 revision is likely please? Not talking about a major refresh, but most manufacturers have an annual model year update and there's quite often another very minor one in-between. For instance, I see the current (new) Evoque is currently on model year (if that's the right term) 2020.25, as the next update following on from plain 2020.

CelticXC40

Post by CelticXC40 »

I saw in one of the UK auto mags online that the revision for UK has just been announced. New engine choices and colouyrs and updates to Intellisafe etc.
XC40 Inscription pro - T4 - Auto AWD - Pine Grey - Blonde Leather - 19" wheels - Intellisafe pro Pack, Tinted windows, Keyless drive, wireless charging, Xenium pack, Towbar, Spare wheel. Delivered 22nd January 2019.
johnd

Post by johnd »

CelticXC40 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:54 am I saw in one of the UK auto mags online that the revision for UK has just been announced. New engine choices and colouyrs and updates to Intellisafe etc.
Interesting, thanks for the pointer and so following some Googling: I see Fleet News is saying: 'Furthermore, all versions with an automatic transmission now come as standard with paddle shifts mounted on the steering wheel.'

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufa ... ent-levels

TBH that sounds slightly unlikely but good news (for me at least - I was interested in an Inscription with paddles but that has been a no-go to date) if true. Anyone been in touch with a dealer in the past few days that might be able to confirm if it's true? (Not disrespecting Fleet News but sometimes these press releases get a bit garbled during sub-editing by magazines and I wouldn't be surprised if it's just been added to R-Design but not Inscription.)
aj05

Post by aj05 »

Just collected inscription t5 my20 a couple of weeks ago seems news lagging behind actual cars, all the upgrades in the article are on my car except paddles which I would not be bothered about any way and the Bliss steer assist not sure about not been in a position to try it . If not wondering if this would just be a software upgrade as it can not be much different for the already available lane assist.
johnd

Post by johnd »

OK, thanks. But paddles are close to must-have for me, which why I was momentarily interested. But there are too many things about R Design that I don't like (internal trim, alcantara seats, larger wheels, privacy glass, no denim blue etc) that the lack of paddles on an Inscription is one of the main things blocking me from ordering an XC40 at all. Guess I'll go back to looking at the Q3 or Evoque.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

johnd wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:18 am
CelticXC40 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:54 am I saw in one of the UK auto mags online that the revision for UK has just been announced. New engine choices and colouyrs and updates to Intellisafe etc.
Interesting, thanks for the pointer and so following some Googling: I see Fleet News is saying: 'Furthermore, all versions with an automatic transmission now come as standard with paddle shifts mounted on the steering wheel.'

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufa ... ent-levels

TBH that sounds slightly unlikely but good news (for me at least - I was interested in an Inscription with paddles but that has been a no-go to date) if true. Anyone been in touch with a dealer in the past few days that might be able to confirm if it's true? (Not disrespecting Fleet News but sometimes these press releases get a bit garbled during sub-editing by magazines and I wouldn't be surprised if it's just been added to R-Design but not Inscription.)
Still R-Design only.

What engine are you coming from? I really wanted paddles but, have since found dynamic mode responsive enough that, not once have I even reached for manual mode.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/en-g ... d-new-opti
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
johnd

Post by johnd »

Silver Moose wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 am What engine are you coming from?
Macan SD, so 3l diesel, albeit in a 1900kg car. TBH I don't use the paddles much in the Macan but OTOH there's relatively little need to - due to the combination of available torque and that the DSG gearbox is tuned to be pretty responsive, especially in Sport or Sport Plus modes. I'm very wary of the fact that the same isn't necessarily true in the average slushmatic to the point that I probably wouldn't feel comfortable risking it.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

OK, understand your concern. If you like spirited driving down country lanes, downshifting into bends, paddles are a must.

However, if you just need the right gear for an overtake, you maybe surprised at how non-slushy the box is, particularly in dynamic mode. Manual changing is a pull of the gearshift away, + you can always opt for pole* for even sharper shifting.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

johnd wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:24 am
Silver Moose wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 am What engine are you coming from?
Macan SD, so 3l diesel, albeit in a 1900kg car. TBH I don't use the paddles much in the Macan but OTOH there's relatively little need to - due to the combination of available torque and that the DSG gearbox is tuned to be pretty responsive, especially in Sport or Sport Plus modes. I'm very wary of the fact that the same isn't necessarily true in the average slushmatic to the point that I probably wouldn't feel comfortable risking it.
TBH, as much as I love my car, I think that coming from a V6 diesel Macan you are going to be disappointed/frustrated by the XC40.
I find mine incredibly comfortable and relaxing to drive but whenever I try and rush it I always wish I had my BMW back.
The auto box always seems so unpredictable with it sometimes nicely short shifting on the torque curve and then other times hanging on to a gear far too long.
The paddle shift doesn't really help as its not the quickest of changes and it doesn't "lock" the car into that gear... so when you briefly come on and off the throttle you still get an annoying delay as it thinks about what gear it should be in.
Maybe there is something wrong with mine?
Anyway, as I say, I love my car most of the time..... just not when I'm in a rush.
johnd

Post by johnd »

pp67 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:39 pm
TBH, as much as I love my car, I think that coming from a V6 diesel Macan you are going to be disappointed/frustrated by the XC40.
Thanks. Interesting to hear a sympathetic view. The problem I have is that I've decided that I would like like something a bit lighter and more compact & agile than the Macan but still a compact 4WD premium SUV/crossover. (The Macan does pretty well for agility but you can't ultimately disguise that it's a 2 ton, 2m wide car and is not as nimble as something half a size smaller might be. Nonetheless Macan is a tricky act to follow)

Problem is that there's nothing on the market that fits this bill exactly. I'm a bit allergic to BMWs and the Merc GLA is a seriously ageing model now due for replacement next year, so not a good buy currently. So I'm left with:

Evoque P300: The most premium of the options with good tech (eg HUD), but just as heavy & wide as the Macan (though a foot shorter) and performance probably on a par (more peak power but less of the diesel's torque). Also by some margin the most costly, though that's not a prime consideration.

Audi Q3: Right size/weight but even the 45 TFSI has just so-so performance. Styling still quite uninspired and very stereotypically Audi. Hoping for an SQ3 to turn up, but no sign thus far.

XC40: T5 and would have to be PS. Quite drawn to this (which is why I'm here of course) because of the design flair and semi-premium character. And with PS I could probably live with the performance, though paddles would give me an extra comfort factor. But also some reservations to do with interior styling (especially of R Design), Sensus etc.

Cupra Ateca: The wildcard: Ticks most boxes especially performance. But in a distinctly non-premium vehicle.

Overall, I've spent months trying - in vain - to decide and latching on to any nugget of news about model revisions in case it might help remove one or more reservations. Might give it to the end of the months and toss a coin :shock: