Pilot Assist/ACC

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Hendrix
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:21 am
Location: New Zealand

Pilot Assist/ACC

Post by Hendrix » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:30 am

Hi all,
Waiting (im)patiently for my order to arrive and, as I'm sure many of you did, watching and reading everything XC40-related in the meantime.

Throughout my travels, (including the manual) there is one question I haven't quite been able to answer.

Pilot Assist assists to keep the vehicle in the lane, as well as maintaining following distance etc.
Adaptive Cruise control keeps the vehicle at the desired speed or below, as well as maintaining following distance etc.

Is it possible to use them both together ie have pilot assist on (for the steering) and ACC (for the speed maintenance)?

My reading suggests its either/or....(but maybe I just don't read too good).

H
T4 Fusion Red Momentum with Technology Pack (ACC, Pilot Assist, 360 camera, Park Assist Pilot).


senwar
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: Pilot Assist/ACC

Post by senwar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:10 am

Pilot assist uses acc. You just have to touch the steering wheel every 30 seconds or so.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels


CelticXC40
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:54 am

Re: Pilot Assist/ACC

Post by CelticXC40 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:55 am

I use ACC all the time and have pilot assist turned off most of the time. I use it on motorways only.
XC40 Inscription pro - T4 - Auto AWD - Pine Grey - Blonde Leather - 19" wheels - Intellisafe pro Pack, Tinted windows, Keyless drive, wireless charging, Xenium pack, Towbar, Spare wheel. Delivered 22nd January 2019.


Silver Moose
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Pilot Assist/ACC

Post by Silver Moose » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:06 am

To answer the original question, Pilot Assist is ACC with the ADDITION OF steering assist.

It's fantastic and, with your MY20 model, you'll get the benefit of steering vibration whenever it loses sight of the lines.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera


AnotherXC40
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: Pilot Assist/ACC

Post by AnotherXC40 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:59 pm

The other advantage of using pilot assist is that if your driving in eco mode the car will base its velocity upon the terrain, for example if it knows your about to go up a hill/down a hill it will allow the speed to slow going up and then allow the speed to catch up going down. In all driving modes it is now linked to the standard nav data and the camera / radar system so it will pre-emptively break for sharp corners rather than braking in the corner as pilot assist 2 does.
XC40 T4 AWD R Design, Xenium, Intellisafe Pro, Winter, Tow Bar, Thunder Grey


Silver Moose
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Pilot Assist/ACC

Post by Silver Moose » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:02 pm

AnotherXC40 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:59 pm
The other advantage of using pilot assist is that if your driving in eco mode the car will base its velocity upon the terrain, for example if it knows your about to go up a hill/down a hill it will allow the speed to slow going up and then allow the speed to catch up going down. In all driving modes it is now linked to the standard nav data and the camera / radar system so it will pre-emptively break for sharp corners rather than braking in the corner as pilot assist 2 does.
Are you sure about this? What model year is your car? When did you last have a software update? It certainly doesn't behave like this on my car.

My understanding is that Pilot Assist 3 has not been released for the XC40 yet. My dealer says it will come 'soon' but, dealers always say what you want to hear.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera


AnotherXC40
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: Pilot Assist/ACC

Post by AnotherXC40 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Silver Moose wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:02 pm
AnotherXC40 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:59 pm
The other advantage of using pilot assist is that if your driving in eco mode the car will base its velocity upon the terrain, for example if it knows your about to go up a hill/down a hill it will allow the speed to slow going up and then allow the speed to catch up going down. In all driving modes it is now linked to the standard nav data and the camera / radar system so it will pre-emptively break for sharp corners rather than braking in the corner as pilot assist 2 does.
Are you sure about this? What model year is your car? When did you last have a software update? It certainly doesn't behave like this on my car.

My understanding is that Pilot Assist 3 has not been released for the XC40 yet. My dealer says it will come 'soon' but, dealers always say what you want to hear.
I pick up my XC40 on Friday so can let you know after that for sure, but based on this post from October:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289021 It’s been out since last year so assume it has made it onto the XC40.

It’s also an upgrade on Volvos website if you have pilot assist 2:https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-ma ... 16522/2019

If you have a manual transmission then this upgrade isn’t available.
XC40 T4 AWD R Design, Xenium, Intellisafe Pro, Winter, Tow Bar, Thunder Grey


Silver Moose
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Pilot Assist/ACC

Post by Silver Moose » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:29 pm

Fingers crossed for you but, never mentioned in any press release or in owner's manual.

Also V/S60 accessory comes with this note:

This is only an upgrade of IntelliSafe Assist. The offer applies only for customers who already have IntelliSafe Assist and Sensus Navigation as retrofitted accessories

Does not work for customers who have IntelliSafe Assist and Sensus Navigation fitted directly from the factory.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera


AnotherXC40
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: Pilot Assist/ACC

Post by AnotherXC40 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Silver Moose wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:29 pm
Fingers crossed for you but, never mentioned in any press release or in owner's manual.

Also V/S60 accessory comes with this note:

This is only an upgrade of IntelliSafe Assist. The offer applies only for customers who already have IntelliSafe Assist and Sensus Navigation as retrofitted accessories

Does not work for customers who have IntelliSafe Assist and Sensus Navigation fitted directly from the factory.
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/huma ... afe-assist The description of pilot assist from the link on the XC40 page to intellisafe assist that the system does all of the features described by pilot assist 3 above, so I’m guessing MY20 vehicles will do this as standard, I’ll try it out tomorrow :-)
XC40 T4 AWD R Design, Xenium, Intellisafe Pro, Winter, Tow Bar, Thunder Grey


Hendrix
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:21 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Pilot Assist/ACC

Post by Hendrix » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:30 pm

Thanks all for your answers.
So if my understanding is correct, if I turn ACC on, Pilot Assist also turns on?

I guess it’ll all become clear in about 3 weeks once it eventually arrives.
T4 Fusion Red Momentum with Technology Pack (ACC, Pilot Assist, 360 camera, Park Assist Pilot).


Post Reply

Return to “Main Volvo XC40 chat”