Volvo OnCall app - how does data work?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Hi everyone!

New to this forum, ordered on Sunday an R Design T4 AWD and currently awaiting delivery estimate.
I have a question regarding oncall app. I've seen people here talking about the 3 Sim card, i only assumed that would be needed for updates, live traffic etc.

But does the OnCall require the same sim added, or is that a direct connection (via another sim volvo provides or via satellite etc) that's included in the car's price? The dealer was a bit unhelpful on this part and when asked he gave me a stare that made me believe he'll say "witchcraft" ... before mumbling "satellite". So much info!

Point being that i got CarPlay integration and i'd rather use navigation and music from phone, so if OnCall can work without sim card, i don't think i'd rush to buy one, be it 90p or free....

Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

On call uses it’s own built in SIM card. If you do add your own card on call then uses that. The built in card is only used for on call nothing else.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Oh that's cool, thanks for the quick answer!

I think i'll stick to the build in one then. I feel anything else the car can do, my phone can do better and faster. So safe to use CarPlay.
Plus with a premium Spotify subscription, meaning i can download playlists to phone...i think i'll be sorted :)