D3 Auto around town

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

I’d be interested to get other people’s views on the d3, especially with an auto box.
Whilst it’s perfect (for me) out of town I find it a little bit of a pain to drive in town.
I find the auto box to be slow to pick up from a near stop such as going into a roundabout where you’re off then back on the throttle.
I also find it’s noisy around town as it seems to hold onto a gear for just that little bit too long.
Anyone else find this?

I did notice that there’s a software update that mentions the auto box that might be applicable to my car, so maybe that would help, but a Road Test I read did comment on how the motor is slightly mismatched to the gearbox.

Blue Velvet

Post by Blue Velvet »

NitramA wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:27 pm I’d be interested to get other people’s views on the d3, especially with an auto box.
Whilst it’s perfect (for me) out of town I find it a little bit of a pain to drive in town.
I find the auto box to be slow to pick up from a near stop such as going into a roundabout where you’re off then back on the throttle.
I also find it’s noisy around town as it seems to hold onto a gear for just that little bit too long.
Anyone else find this?

I did notice that there’s a software update that mentions the auto box that might be applicable to my car, so maybe that would help, but a Road Test I read did comment on how the motor is slightly mismatched to the gearbox.
Same experience here:

Xc40 Momentum Pro D3 Auto. All your experiences stated above, is same I have experienced. I am not sure if I will keep it for 3 years. Jaguar ePace happens to be a better drive than my xc40. Same I have to say that. My previous, Honda HRV has far better transmission than xc40 (experience + opinion).
Momentum Pro D3
Red Fusion ;)
alexnisbett

Post by alexnisbett »

T5 auto same. TBH I'm new to auto boxes but even jumping into an auto zipcar golf the other day, the difference on throttle down from zero or slow was very marked.
XC40 T-5 AWD R-Design Pro Auto MY19 Fusion Red Xenium Intellisafe... Insta @red_xc40
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Test driving an auto XC40 did nothing to help persuade my wife take an auto over a manual - she went as far as to complain that the T5 was too slow off the mark.
Needless to say, we ordered a manual!
Blackpanther

Post by Blackpanther »

I would agree with your observations on the auto box around town. I tend to drive in the Volvo in dynamic mode in town which tends to help, but not a patch on my Merc box.
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

Blackpanther wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:28 pm I would agree with your observations on the auto box around town. I tend to drive in the Volvo in dynamic mode in town which tends to help, but not a patch on my Merc box.
But then it seems to hold onto a gear for too long and that makes the diesel thrum even more obvious!
I’ve set up the Individual drive mode to disable stop/start and that does help with the initial delay from a full stop.

My BMW had a Sport button by the gear stick that I would select at awkward junctions. That was a ”proper” auto box.

I did wonder if the issue was the way the diesel delivered the power, but from the above comments it appears not.
Blackpanther

Post by Blackpanther »

I will try setting up the individual mode and see what difference it makes!