Faraday bag

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I may be preaching to the converted but I have bought a Faraday bag off Amazon to protect my keys from being hacked and the car being driven off. Anyone added any other form of theft protection, steering wheel clamps for example?

20190621_155845.jpg

20190621_155759.jpg

XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.

Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

At the risk of stating the obvious: Make sure you keep your spare key suitably isolated as well. I read an article about someone who used a faraday pouch for the key they used daily but their car was stolen via the 'relay theft' method because they had forgotten that the spare was just as vulnerable!
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Yes, I use this steering wheel clamp when away from home.

1233A537-2078-45D2-B651-BE2C887F7594.jpeg

XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

Most professional car thieves look for cars with steering lock devices. The steering wheel locks are removable in seconds by cutting the steering wheel with a simple hacksaw blade and the steering wheel lock device can be used as a lever to force the steering wheel against the internal OEM steering lock and break it.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

bdalameda wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:08 pm Most professional car thieves look for cars with steering lock devices. The steering wheel locks are removable in seconds by cutting the steering wheel with a simple hacksaw blade and the steering wheel lock device can be used as a lever to force the steering wheel against the internal OEM steering lock and break it.
Didn’t say it gives 100% security but even if it only adds “seconds” ;) to how long it takes to drive the car away with a chunk missing out of the steering wheel and adding the inconvenience of the their having to replace it gives me the satisfaction of knowing that I’ve made it a little harder to take the car away...

If my XC40 is parked next to yours and I have one fitted but you don’t I wonder which car the crook would try first...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Boxybutgood wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:25 pm At the risk of stating the obvious: Make sure you keep your spare key suitably isolated as well. I read an article about someone who used a faraday pouch for the key they used daily but their car was stolen via the 'relay theft' method because they had forgotten that the spare was just as vulnerable!
Yeah they come as a pair so both spare and swim key are safely tucked away.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

I hope Volvo will follow BMWs solution to this problem - adding a motion sensor to the key so that when not in motion it doesn't transmit - that means you don't need the faraday cage, unless your keys are going to be disturbed at the same time the thieves try to steal your car.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Even Skoda are doing that with the Karoq soon.

Must admit I'm perfectly happy using a key and remote.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Tyson

Post by Tyson »

Hi, I too have a faraday pouch for my key tab and also 2 more, one each for the two "normal" keys which are kept in a safe. My vehicle also has a Disklok in silver. The car is parked in a secure garage, and I have a secure parking post on my drive. Regards.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Tyson wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:56 am Hi, I too have a faraday pouch for my key tab and also 2 more, one each for the two "normal" keys which are kept in a safe. My vehicle also has a Disklok in silver. The car is parked in a secure garage, and I have a secure parking post on my drive. Regards.
Yikes! Do you live in Caracas?
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19