Oncoming Lane Mitigation - Country lanes

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
jryoung

Post by jryoung »

Hi,
I am looking to order a new XC40 soon.
does the oncoming lane mitigation interfere with country lane driving, where either the lane is wide enough for a close pass, or where you have to pull over to let someone pass?

Fursty Ferret

Post by Fursty Ferret »

No. Either you or the oncoming car has to cross the white lines and it's designed to intervene so late that if it does kick in, you'd have crashed into each other anyway.
jryoung

Post by jryoung »

So it relies on the presence of white lines, and not just the relative trajectory of the vehicles?
Taff

Post by Taff »

You will have no problems, I drive along a lot of narrow country lanes in North Wales, where one or the other have to pull onto the verge with no problems, only problem i encountered was on a very tight bend and when it sensed the on coming car it braked.
Ordered XC40 D3 Inscription Automatic, Pine Grey, Charcoal Leather, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Camera, Tempra Spare Wheel. (Ordered 23/5/18) Delivered 20th September 2018.
jryoung

Post by jryoung »

Thanks, a very helpful reply.
We have just ordered a d4 AWD R-DESIGN in Glacier Silver :-)
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I'd confirm the above & say I've had zero problems with country lanes.

There's more of an issue with urban driving with parked cars either side. It seems to me that, if you're forced to cross the centre line, the sensitivity seems to ramp up. If you're 'squirting' to the next gap whilst taking turns with oncoming vehicles, the alerts are much more frequent.

I don't commute any more so I live with the odd false alert. If you regularly have to contend with semi-blocked urban streets, you'll probs want to set alerts to late.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera