Poll: Which engine/transmission are you looking at, or have purchased?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions

Which engine/transmission are you looking at, or have purchased?

D3 FWD MANUAL
2%
D3 FWD AUTOMATIC
5%
D3 AWD MANUAL
No votes
D3 AWD AUTOMATIC
2%
D4 AWD AUTOMATIC
15%
T3 FWD MANUAL
12%
T4 AWD AUTOMATIC
15%
T5 AWD AUTOMATIC
20%
Petrol - Other specs not included above
27%
Diesel - Other specs not included above
No votes

Total votes: 452

David56

Post by David56 »

Sevenoaks Boy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 pm Fo me it's the "T4", sorry all those who went for the "T5" but I just can't see the logic, the "T5" cost £1500 more than the "T4" and what do you get for this extra money, a 0 to 62mph time of 6.5 instead of 7.0, for me it's a wast of money, I invested the savings in a better spec. car.
What do you think?
Each to their own of course, but you cant get a better spec than a T5 first edition anyway.
First Edition T5 in Fusion Red with 20" Alloys.
Now Sold

tonyD

Post by tonyD »

T4 AWD
Deleted User 960

Post by Deleted User 960 »

For me, the choice was pretty much made for me - a D4 FE - as I needed the extra weight and torque of the diesel over the T5 for towing a caravan. The lower list price, better MPG and lower VED (given that the T5 is over the £40k VED threshold) are also welcome bonuses. I envy those who've opted for the T5 however, as given a choice I would take a petrol over a diesel every time purely from a driver enjoyment perspective.

Volvo's commitment to hybrid engines is really exciting and I would definitely be interested in an xc40 hybrid in the future, but realistically the cost of hybrid variants needs to fall significantly for them to compete with diesel/petrol-only options. Until that happens I can't see the bottom dropping out of the used diesel/petrol car market in the immediate future, but it is coming!
Bob

Post by Bob »

RobC wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:09 pm ............ and lower VED (given that the T5 is over the £40k VED threshold) are also welcome bonuses.
No it's not Rob. although the list price is £40,055, for tax purposes the T5 comes in at approx. £39,500 which is below the £40k level for the extra tax of £310 / year for the first 5 years.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Bob

Post by Bob »

David56 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 pm
Sevenoaks Boy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 pm Fo me it's the "T4", sorry all those who went for the "T5" but I just can't see the logic, the "T5" cost £1500 more than the "T4" and what do you get for this extra money, a 0 to 62mph time of 6.5 instead of 7.0, for me it's a wast of money, I invested the savings in a better spec. car.
What do you think?
Each to their own of course, but you cant get a better spec than a T5 first edition anyway.
I agree David, plus, what are the residuals of the diesels going to be like in a few years time with the slating that they are getting in the press at the moment?
Besides, I don't do enough miles in a year to warrant going for a diesel.
Ideally, I'd have gone for the T4, but unfortunately only the T5 was available for the First Edition. However, I do so few miles in the car (about 7,000 miles) that the extra MPG won't make that much difference. Especially when I take my other form of transport into consideration, my BMW R1200GS Adventure motorcycle, on which I do about 9,000 miles / year, and all those miles are just for pleasure! :D

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Ratio still holding fast.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Bob wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:51 pm
What do you think?
I agree David, plus, what are the residuals of the diesels going to be like in a few years time with the slating that they are getting in the press at the moment?

Bob
Hi Bob. I posted a spreadsheet in another thread a while ago that showed even if you only do 4K miles a year the D4 will save you a considerable amount in fuel over a 3 year period compared with the T5. I must admit that I was considering making the switch from diesel to petrol when I ordered my FE but decided the fuel cost of the T5 was way too high for me. As for future depreciation of the diesel, not a factor for me. Given Volvo’s poor reputation for reliability ( 25th out of 32 manufacturers in a survey I read recently) I have no intention of keeping the XC40 beyond the 3yr warranty period. I’ll just give them the keys back after 3yrs and star again. By then then there should be more choice of powetrains, hybrid, full electric etc.
If the XC40 proves the reliability surveys wrong then I might consider another one, otherwise I’ll probably come back to a Skoda Superb. Skoda always seem to come out near the top of reliability/satisfaction surveys. I don’t have a single bad word for my Superb L&K, it has almost all of the safety gadgets and driver aids of the XC40. I’m still trying to work out what pushed me into buying the XC40. Probably a right-of-passage thing, I’m retiring next March and everyone knows that when you get old you buy a Volvo ;0)
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
isleaiw

Post by isleaiw »

Rifleman wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:24 pm
Bob wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Bob
Hi Bob. I posted a spreadsheet in another thread a while ago that showed even if you only do 4K miles a year the D4 will save you a considerable amount in fuel over a 3 year period compared with the T5. I must admit that I was considering making the switch from diesel to petrol when I ordered my FE but decided the fuel cost of the T5 was way too high for me. As for future depreciation of the diesel, not a factor for me. Given Volvo’s poor reputation for reliability ( 25th out of 32 manufacturers in a survey I read recently) I have no intention of keeping the XC40 beyond the 3yr warranty period. I’ll just give them the keys back after 3yrs and star again. By then then there should be more choice of powetrains, hybrid, full electric etc.
If the XC40 proves the reliability surveys wrong then I might consider another one, otherwise I’ll probably come back to a Skoda Superb. Skoda always seem to come out near the top of reliability/satisfaction surveys. I don’t have a single bad word for my Superb L&K, it has almost all of the safety gadgets and driver aids of the XC40. I’m still trying to work out what pushed me into buying the XC40. Probably a right-of-passage thing, I’m retiring next March and everyone knows that when you get old you buy a Volvo ;0)
That assumes of course that the costs of the choice are an important element of the choice. I am here because an XC40 might be my next car as a daily driver if I decide to swap the way I combine the two cars I have. My current primary mode of transport is a (petrol) Audi SQ5. 350hp, 6 cylinders, petrol. Not exactly chosen for its economy. If I trade for an XC40 it will be the grandkid and dog car whilst something without a roof fills the secondary role. Given my current fuel consumption, a T5 would be a positive mood - and refinement really matters to me so not much else would get a look in (T4 perhaps if right car was around).

Might go Seat Ateca though although 2.0TFSI has been dropped for now...
MichelR

Post by MichelR »

😉 not in your list.
T4 FWD automatic.
Ordered a XC40 T4 R-Design in Bursting Blue.. Supposed to get he car in mid May but delayed. Will be build on 10th of September
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

MichelR wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:38 pm 😉 not in your list.
T4 FWD automatic.
No FWD option for the T4 in the UK :(
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o