XC40 plug-in hybrid now available!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

XC40 plug-in hybrid now available on the Volvo configuration tool on Volvo’s website!

From £40900!

Deleted User 1945

FYI only the R design (none pro version) is available to configure.

34 mile electric only range, CO2 quoted as 38g/km.

182+82 bhp - should make it more powerful than current T5 at 264 HP combined.

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 11.09.14.png

johnd

Post by johnd »

AnotherXC40 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:47 am 182+82 bhp - should make it more powerful than current T5 at 264 HP combined.
Would be nice to be wrong, but I don't think that's how it works. The role of the EV battery is (1) to allow for limited range in EV-only mode; (2) to blend in with the ICE in power delivery to offer more economical driving. So: lower emissions and better fuel economy yes (especially if a lot of your driving is short and gently driven trips operating within the EV-only regime) but better performance no.

That's what I'm expecting but doubtless the reviews will fill in the details.
PJS

Post by PJS »

The technical spec within price list suggests existing T5 power performance is better :D

Screenshot 2019-06-16 at 12.48.22.png

XC40 First Edition [MY19] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" Alloys | Charcoal |
Deleted User 1945

Interesting looks as though Volvo have taken a Slightly different approach to the other Hybrids ie the T8s. Where they all have significantly better performance than the equivalent or top ICE version. Also Wondering if it’s 4wd ie uses an eAxle like current Volvo plug-in hybrids or if it’s integrated in the transmission like a Prius.
johnd

Post by johnd »

I guess part of the problem is the extra weight of the hybrid - it's almost 10% heavier despite being front-driven only. The latter probably doesn't help traction in the 0-60 sprint either.

You've probably got to really value economy above all else to be interested in the hybrid?
Deleted User 1945

johnd wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:36 pm I guess part of the problem is the extra weight of the hybrid - it's almost 10% heavier despite being front-driven only. The latter probably doesn't help traction in the 0-60 sprint either.

You've probably got to really value economy above all else to be interested in the hybrid?
Good point, at £5000 more than the top ice T5 that’s a lot of fuel. Having said that if your getting one on business then the 38g/km is going to make these very cheap to run from a tax point of view.
johnd

Post by johnd »

AnotherXC40 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:51 pm Good point, at £5000 more than the top ice T5 that’s a lot of fuel. Having said that if your getting one on business then the 38g/km is going to make these very cheap to run from a tax point of view.
I don't know much about company car tax - hasn't been likely to affect me for many years. But is it really based on 38g/km? If so, I wonder how long that's likely to last? The 38 figure is legitimate under the prescribed test regime I'm sure, but I bet it's not genuinely representative of the figure in everyday use, which could be 100+. How long before the hybrid tax bands are reviewed in the same way that they were for the initial purchase grant, which was then abolished because the hybrid owners were actually doing very little EV-only mileage?
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Performance is slightly disappointing but the killer for me is lack of AWD. I would never go back to just FWD. I'll need to wait for the Disco Sport if I want a hybrid (which I do) but happy with the D4 R Design I have in meantime.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

johnd wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:30 pm
AnotherXC40 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:47 am 182+82 bhp - should make it more powerful than current T5 at 264 HP combined.
Would be nice to be wrong, but I don't think that's how it works. The role of the EV battery is (1) to allow for limited range in EV-only mode; (2) to blend in with the ICE in power delivery to offer more economical driving. So: lower emissions and better fuel economy yes (especially if a lot of your driving is short and gently driven trips operating within the EV-only regime) but better performance no.

That's what I'm expecting but doubtless the reviews will fill in the details.
I think that's bang-on in the everyday world.

Though they usually have a 'performance' mode to allow you to show off blistering acceleration to your mates.

That allows manufacturers to publish these ridiculous performance figures but, back in the real world, nobody uses this mode as it just depletes your battery and leaves you lugging around a load of extra weight for the rest of the day.

PHEVs are great if you have a short commute + longer weekend trips but the total bhp figure is largely irrelevant.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera