Stop-start not working properly in auto hold

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Oblivion

Post by Oblivion »

Hi,

I seem to have an issue with start-stop whilst in the auto-hold mode. Most of the time when I lift my foot off the brake pedal the engine stays switched off until I press the accelerator. However, every now and again when releasing the brake pedal the engine switches back on before I press the accelerator.

I can't seem to find any reason or pattern as to why it does this. Different drive modes don't make a difference, nor does how quickly I release the pedal or how soon after starting a journey.

Anyone else have this issue or can explain why it does this?

Thanks
T5 Inscription Pro, Onyx Black, Blonde interior. Ordered 15th October 2018. Delivered 1st March 2019.

Fursty Ferret

Post by Fursty Ferret »

Are you using the speed limiter? There's a bug* with the system where the engine restarts immediately when the brake pedal is released in auto-hold if the speed limiter is active.

* I say "bug", Volvo told my dealer it's meant to happen but declined to provide a reason.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

My start/stop has not activated once so far in the 4 days I have had the car despite being switched on all the time. I don't really mind as I would not use it anyway but ftom other posts on here it seems the start/stop can have a mind of its own.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

I’ve noticed if you don’t press the brake in far enough then the engine will restart, for example when you want the engine to turn off press the brake peddle further then release, this might be the issue? I was told the car learns your driving style so if you have done something it seems unusual that could be the culprit if it’s not faulty.
Oblivion

Post by Oblivion »

Fursty Ferret wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:30 am Are you using the speed limiter? There's a bug* with the system where the engine restarts immediately when the brake pedal is released in auto-hold if the speed limiter is active.

* I say "bug", Volvo told my dealer it's meant to happen but declined to provide a reason.
Thanks for the suggestion but no I don't have the speed limiter activated
AnotherXC40 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:46 am I’ve noticed if you don’t press the brake in far enough then the engine will restart, for example when you want the engine to turn off press the brake peddle further then release, this might be the issue? I was told the car learns your driving style so if you have done something it seems unusual that could be the culprit if it’s not faulty.
That could well be it, I'll give it a go. Thanks :)
T5 Inscription Pro, Onyx Black, Blonde interior. Ordered 15th October 2018. Delivered 1st March 2019.
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

There have been a few post (including mine) where the stop start battery has failed fault in the manufacture i would suggest, mine has been replaced and working fine now.
Oblivion

Post by Oblivion »

Tried to press the brake harder today when stopping. It seemed to improve it a bit but was still restarting occasionally on release :/ I guess there is a fault.
Wedgie wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:14 am There have been a few post (including mine) where the stop start battery has failed fault in the manufacture i would suggest, mine has been replaced and working fine now.
So stop-start works normally if I don't use the auto-hold (or if I keep my foot on the pedal) or if the car stops in pilot assist, so I don't think it is a fault with the battery.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

So having posted previously that the start/stop had not activated on my car since I picked it up, it did activate twice today during a trip but did not activate at the end of the trip when I got home and tried it. I wonder if the secondary battery takes a while to charge up enough to allow the start/ stop and a couple of activations drains it again. Either its a fault or I need to do a really long trip with it off to fully charge the battery. The car was on sale at the dealers for some time until I bought it so maybe that affected it.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I find that sometimes the start/stop appears to have a mind of its own. It doesn’t work so well if the aircon or heating is working hard. If the battery charge reduces it also stops working until the battery has recharged. This can easily happen in queuing traffic. The system won’t work unless there is enough charge available in the dedicated battery. This can take a few miles. Overall the system works as it should.
I had to make the battery system monitor replaced. It failed when I picked the car up from its first annual service, although I didn’t realise until after the service department had closed on a Friday night.
A couple of days later on the following Tuesday the car was booked back in, fault found part replaced and car collected late afternoon. This was despite the part not being in stock and having to be ordered in.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018