Any former V40 owners here?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

How does the XC40 compare to the V40 in terms of cabin noise, ride quality and comfort?

Reviewers always mention these things but it's hard to put them in perspective as I've never owned a SUV before.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel

senwar

Post by senwar »

Not an owner but I’ve had one every time I’ve had my car in with the exception of once (so probably 7 or 8 times).

The v40 is nowhere near a patch on the XC40 both in quality comfort and feel in my opinion. The car feels dated and I always feel great getting back in mine. The tech and driving feel is so much better.

Cabin noise isn’t bad but as I say in my opinion the XC40 is streets above the V40.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

senwar wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:40 am Not an owner but I’ve had one every time I’ve had my car in with the exception of once (so probably 7 or 8 times).

The v40 is nowhere near a patch on the XC40 both in quality comfort and feel in my opinion. The car feels dated and I always feel great getting back in mine. The tech and driving feel is so much better.

Cabin noise isn’t bad but as I say in my opinion the XC40 is streets above the V40.
Similar here, have had V40 twice now for a day. I'd say it was more like my old focus (top spec) in terms of finish and comfort. The XC is definitely a much nicer feel and finish. Noise wise, I'm not sure as didn't do much motorway in them.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
trjim2k5

Post by trjim2k5 »

I upgraded from a V40 to an XC40. Had the V40 for 4 years. Both cars top spec.

The XC40 is clearly ahead in terms of ride quality & feel. It drives like a car which is at least one category up. Less rattles as well. In terms of cabin noise, I'd say the XC40 is a bit better compared to the V40, but the latter was not bad in the first place so the difference is smaller (but noticeable). One thing the V40 was ahead of the XC40 is engine noise. I had the D2 1.6 engine, which was really quiet for a diesel. The D3 I have on the XC40 is noticeably louder, but not loud enough to be annoying.

Hope this helps!
XC40 | Inscription Pro | D3 FWD Auto | Denim Blue | Ordered 29/03/18 | Delivered 29/09/18
GemBar

Post by GemBar »

I had a V40 2.0 R-Design for two years before trading up to an XC40, both models are petrol & manual.
The XC40 for me is a much smoother ride and engine noise quieter with a better ride height with greater technology.

I loved my V40 and would still have it if Volvo hadn't brought the XC40 out, differently worth the wait.
XC40 T3 R Design | Winter Pack | Heated Rear Seats & Steering Wheel | Front Parking Sensors | Power Tailgate | Osmium Grey | Ordered Mid March for Delivery June / October / September | Now driving as from 14-09-18
Happningj

Post by Happningj »

I’ve got a V40 T3 inscription which I’m changing for an XC40 T3 inscription. The V40 has been excellent in terms of economy, comfort, practicality but the road noise is bit disappointing. The XC40 is much improved but beware the larger diameter wheels. My advice is to drive a few back to back and see what works for you.

Cheers HJ
XC40 T3 Inscription | Glacier Silver | Charcoal