Apple CarPlay in iOS 13

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
globox

Post by globox »

I've had the chance to install the iOS 13 beta on my iPhone, which comes with the new CarPlay experience.

Kind of bummed by the fact that due to Volvo's approach to integrating CarPlay (lower half of the vertical screen, smaller diagonal due to this), it results in one of the poorest CarPlay experiences out of all the automakers.

Consequences of this*:
- dashboard view is crammed
- less information is displayed in the Dashboard view than pretty much every other automaker's screen (missing navigational arrows, full audio controls, audio source text, missing 3rd contextual information tile).

This software is beta, but I do hope Volvo adds better support to the new CarPlay experience (even though I know this is a slim chance due to them working on rolling out the new Android-based system). Things that iOS 13 enables that Volvo can adapt to:
- fullscreen vertical layout for CarPlay (this is available even now, in earlier iOS releases, but Volvo decided to block fullscreen CarPlay). Even more, this poses safety concerns especially when using navigation, since Volvo's approach is to bury CarPlay in the lower half of the Sensus screen. The upper part of the screen is taken by non-usable information (such as Phone via Apple CarPlay, Media via Apple CarPlay)
- maps data in second screen (instrument cluster) - assuming Volvo adds support for iOS 13 CarPlay, I hope they don't block out this feature to spur sales of their Sensus Navigation
- Second video stream support - Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that show information in a second screen, such as in a cluster or HUD.

I know this is early stages - but how do others feel about CarPlay. To me, it's the main way I use the infotainment in my car.

* - these first observations can be just a result of the first beta of iOS 13, things could change once development progresses

IMG_1930.PNG

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

That is a real shame. I thought Apple had allowed second display with iOS 12, or maybe even 11? Full screen, if CarPlay can make use of the vertical layout, would be awesome. Nice large map on top, dashboard controls underneath rather than side-by-side.

I do think the crammed, odd shape is already a shame. I like the overview mode of maps, but it doesn’t make good use of the screen in a Volvo. On my old Sony headset, it worked really well.

Is there a way to give feedback to Volvo, like Apple’s was.apple.com/feedback site?
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
globox

Post by globox »

I have filled out this Customer Experience form on the Volvo website: https://www.volvocars.com/intl/footer/contact-us-form

Not sure about the second display in previous iOS releases, however it is a certainty as of iOS 13 - Apple markets it as a feature.

However full screen CarPlay has been available in previous iOS versions in vertical layouts. Apple's developer guidelines give as example the 768px x 1024px resolution for vertical screens: https://developer.apple.com/carplay/doc ... -Guide.pdf
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Thanks, I’ve done the same.
Ordered 11th May 2018
globox

Post by globox »

There's a video in which Apple detailed what automakers can do with the new CarPlay APIs in iOS 13.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/252/

If Volvo decides to implement them as an update to existing XC40s, I'm a hugely happy customer.
rhaleuk

Post by rhaleuk »

Thanks for sharing. Agree with your sentiments. Really disappointing implementation
XC40 D4 Auto First Edition, Crystal White, Lava Orange, 20" Alloys, Polestar - Ordered 14/3/18 - Delivery 6/10/18
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

That explains a lot about Volvo’s implementation! The graphics almost suggested they were aiming the update AT Volvo (or maybe that’s just me and wishful thinking).
Ordered 11th May 2018
globox

Post by globox »

The latest public beta version of iOS 13 has fixed some of the display issues on the dashboard for Volvo's lower than usual resolution (i.e. we now have audio details in the dashboard as well). Adding some screenshots.

FD299B92-1D7A-4A4D-97D9-448281412CBA.jpeg

717ECEF2-B20B-40D1-9B9E-8FDA1BF3368B.jpeg

ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Not contributing to the discussion with anything meaningful, but hey, you're about 5 minutes from me :)

That said, it's a major disappointment and i sort of start regretting getting CarPlay integration. My car is still about 1 month away, hope once iOS 13 comes out it'll look much better.
globox

Post by globox »

Some sources say that Volvo will not update the SPA cars to benefit of the new iOS 13 CarPlay.

Most likely CMA will be in the same boat :(