Volvo Sensus update with Google

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ijkgenesis

Post by ijkgenesis »

when i picked up my car in April 2018 the dealer said in 2019 there would be a Sensus update with new Google software following a collaboration between Google and Volvo. Has anyon eany update on this as i have not seen anything further in the press. it would great to have google maps full size in the display rather than a small rectangle using andriod auto.
XC40 FE D4 Burstin Blue with 20 inch Wheels

XC60 T8 Ultimate ordered Sept 2023

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Well, the good news is that your dealer is more switched on than most. When I asked my dealer in December 2018, he'd never heard of it.

Volvo have been working with Google on this for a number of years - they demonstrated it in a XC40 in May 2018. Google have variously been calling it Android HMI or Android Automotive.

It will appear* first in the Polestar 2, then later in the rest of the CMA models (XC40 & new V40) before being rolled out across the range.

I have lost Hope in it being offered as an upgrade - the next gen Sensus is going to use the Intel Atom Automotive chip. I suspect you're going to have to trade in if you want it (when it eventually lands) .

* Actually, it has already appeared as it has been revealed/presented at Geneva. However, I don't think any Volvo will contain it until AFTER the Polestar 2 has started production.

https://group.volvocars.com/news/connec ... ent-system
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
rhaleuk

Post by rhaleuk »

I don't think this is an upgrade for existing cars. It will be an "upgrade" to the XC40 as a model but you'll need to buy a car that comes with it, rather it being say a download for those of us who already own an XC40.
XC40 D4 Auto First Edition, Crystal White, Lava Orange, 20" Alloys, Polestar - Ordered 14/3/18 - Delivery 6/10/18
ijkgenesis

Post by ijkgenesis »

many thanks for clarifying;; probably not a reason in itself to change....
XC40 FE D4 Burstin Blue with 20 inch Wheels

XC60 T8 Ultimate ordered Sept 2023
johnd

Post by johnd »

ijkgenesis wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:50 am probably not a reason in itself to change....
Actually it would be a decisive reason for me to opt for the XC40. I've been looking to buy a new car for the past 6-9 months (which, as it turns out, has not been good timing with all the WLTP delays and turmoil and then also manufacturers heavily preoccupied with planning new EV models & launches) and have been - and still am - seriously tempted by the XC40.

But the combination of 2 or 3 drawbacks on the XC40 choice have held me back from ordering, one of these being the inability to get a good Google Earth display. I have it in my current car and have got 110% used to having it & enjoying it. OK, you can also do it via Apple Carplay on the XC40 but it's a bit clunky and you only see a limited-sized letterbox on the Sensus display. So it doesn't really pass muster, though if one of my other perceived XC40 issues was fixed instead (eg paddles on an Inscription model) then that might be an adequate enough compromise - no car model is perfect and some degree of compromise is inevitable - just a question of what the threshold is for acceptability.

On when it might come: The XC40 EV seems to be persistently promised for late 2019. Given how much this might share with Polestar 2 I'd be quite surprised if this wasn't launched with the new Sensus.
Last edited by johnd on Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Funny how different people look at this. I’ve made my views clear on this already. For some a reason to buy, for me a reason to definitely not buy.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
be0ne

Post by be0ne »

No retrofit for our cars (due to hardware requirements). The new Google infused software will be exclusive to new vehicles when made available by Volvo.
XC40 T3 R-Design (+packs & options) ordered in March - delivered August.
globox

Post by globox »

Did they announce that?

Are you talking about software update or retrofitting the new hardware unit to our cars?

As long as they offer the new unit as a (paid) upgrade, for a reasonable price, that would still be acceptable.
be0ne

Post by be0ne »

No official announcement and I'm talking about a (not possible) software upgrade to the current model.
Not sure if this is good or bad news until we can see the android HMI run on the XC40. Sensus is what it is but works fine.
XC40 T3 R-Design (+packs & options) ordered in March - delivered August.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

But is it objectively good, the new Sensus?
Probably good for Google, and some funding for Volvo/Geely, but how is it better?
I have seen snapshots in the blogs, looks very similar.
Isn't it like having a Photoshop running on Windows 10 or Windows 8? In the end, that's same version of Photoshop